Suggestion: Basic Repairs section with same groups as the Performance section…

• Suggestion: Basic Repairs section with same groups as the Performance section…

Why not make it simpler and lump anything "performance" related or let's say "new ideas/development" into it's own thread and keep those divided categories for all general questions within their scope?

Really "performance" stuff cuts across many categories at once, and I don't think anyone seriously cares which category of modification or methodology it relates to, do they?

I'd classify which subforums are needed by volume of posts… most of the specific forums are full of repair questions or solicitations for opinions, as such, shouldn't they own that subforum?

I'm pretty sure that us parts developers coming out with new product ideas, or people like gary devising interesting camber fixes or whatnot, are still in the minority, aren't we?

Shouldn't those things be lumped together then?

Dunno wtf is going on with the forum, I formatted the above nicely…

Perhaps the NEW "performance" forum could be entirely populated by mods moving threads they feel worthy out of the regular sections instead of allowing people to post directly? That would also further cut down on the clutter…

Yea I meant group/subforum… and I posted with a pc :

How much of what's in the various subforums actually qualifies as strictly "performance" related? You obviously feel a lot of it _isn't_, so how much of it _is_ ?

I guess what I'm getting at is that most modifications are relatively small evolutions of the underlying category, so what I would more like to see is a subforum specifically for NEW ideas, anything that seems slightly crazy, unique interpretations, new discoveries etc… people could also request technical details like dimensions, ask for part designs, discuss old ones, or possibly even discuss random fabrication/parts we've found elsewhere (like my "bad idea" thread in social)

+1 this idea.
    1986 300ZX factory Turbo 2+2 5 speed swap. 1985 Toyota MR2. Floor boards gone. Good fabrication practice.

I think we are agreeing, just looking at it differently…

I'm saying drop the performance designation from the existing categories, and allow them to be the catch-all for each group of topics
    ---> we both agree they are already overly populated by repair posts, if I was to guess, 90% of them are repair threads, so wouldn't that by default make it a repair forum?

Then having removed the burden of scrolling down to a generic repair section which doesn't specifically mean anything, let's repurpose that one into a general NEW IDEA thread
    ---> again we already agree no one wants to sift through a million unrelated posts when they are keen to find-just-one-thread-right-now-now, and people are hesitant to label their problem common enough to fall into a general fix-it category

As for the truly new ideas or obscure stuff, like those lovely romulator discussions we had ages ago, or when front mount turbos became popular, those should be lumped together
    ---> these threads are not the kind people NEED to see, they just WANT to as a matter of interest, they may have similar topics, but I think giving these threads more latitude makes sense no?

I agree repairs should come before upgrades, once upon a time z31.com filled that role but it's obvious we need it now

1. I think sponsors belongs under marketplace, if the goal is to see what companies are offering at a glance… there's inevitably something being sold isn't there?

2. I don't think we need a ton of division under social lounge, maybe car vs non-car is enough…

3. if anything, meets/events should be under z31 related… unless people want to post subaru events for some reason?

4. our NEW idea (your "daydreams") forum should be under the performance/upgrades since topically that's what it's all about… we're not posting new ideas to building a shed afterall

5. I might even suggest dividing the WTB and FS differently, say "Part outs/Cars for sale" and "Buy & Sell".... you see simultaneous posts of want ads & for sale ads for the same items, all because people don't bother reading the WTB section, so why make it an effort to see all the requests?

6. Introductions also belongs in social category, we have the member's rides to talk about the car (which belongs in a car section) and the introductions to talk about the people (social section)

Aaaaaaaand just thinking about it, maybe rename the categories in the repair section to things that deal with the problem, for example:

+ General Repairs:
    -- ECU related, emissions, sensors, misc EFI questions
    -- Fuel delivery, spark/ignition, misc wiring questions
    -- Handling, driveline, brakes, misc mechanical questions
    -- Body, paint, aerodynamics, cosmetic questions
    -- Where to find parts, part numbers, recommendations