3rd Gen Maxima dual log intake

Since you are more familiar with this intake is there anything else I'd need to keep, I know I'm keeping the butterfly valves in between the logs and active with the actuator, but there's a couple other things attached that I'd be getting rid of in my mock up, any of it important?

Trying to think of what you would need to keep.

The top nut thing on the back is supposed to be for bleeding your cooling system I believe (also another thing I'm not sure of is the terminology but I believe it's called a bleeder valve), though I've never used it and really need to get around to deleting it so coolant doesn't flow through that area.

You've also got an EGR port on the bottom portion. You can probably recognize this on your own.

PCV again something you may or may not need, it's behind the "bleeder valve"

Throttle body has some ports for coolant flow on the bottom, I have deleted this since I don't have problems with my throttle sticking in the oh so cold Florida winters, you may or may not need this based on how you feel about it.

The V6 3000 thing is I believe thin metal and is just glued on so if you want to you can peel it off harmlessly (won't cause a vacuum leak or nothing) if you want and replace it with something custom or just leave it off.

The IACV on the front drivers side should also be easily recognizable to you but in case it isn't coolant does flow through it through two lines and the bigger port goes to the intake. Again something that might be an annoyance to you if you remove it but you might not miss it at all.

You will need to have a throttle cable bracket somewhere on your version.

So some good and bad news, I assembled the lower and upper intake manifolds together both of the 3rd gen Max and the 85 Turbo. Side by side the maxima intake sits lower, so would have no hood clearance issues, bad thing is that it is narrower as well, so each log holds less air than the stock Z31 intake, though it would flow better. Maybe since it'll all be hacked and mangled already I can enlarge each log as well, but at that point I might as well make a custom intake from scratch it seems like.

I've known most of what you just said. The plenum doesn't have a whole lot of volume to it, however it's debatable whether it's restrictive in this form. Now if you could make a spacer you could increase volume as needed.

I joined this site mostly to learn about hacking up manifolds and the possibility of a VG38E. I don't know yet how I'll hack my own up, I'll probably wait for a junkyard acquired spare for my own experimentation but I might someday delete the "power valve" (internal butterflies) and maybe even make it an undivided plenum. However in the end sheet metal plenums are probably better for top end than anything you'll ever do to a factory Nissan plenum.

I think that as it's designed it will flow better and more evenly than a Z31 manifold, even if it won't allow as much air in the chamber at a time I think it will still flow faster. While HP gains I think would be minimal I think it'd be much much more responsive as it sits. So if I can enlarge the banks, possibly even run 2 TB's since they are so small in the Max, and draw it strait into the front side of the intake I could gain more air flow while still increasing response over a Z31 intake.

Yeah torque and low end power should be up I can almost guarantee that. Response I would assume would be up. Some jury rigged TBs should produce interesting results.

Any progress? It's getting kinda disappointing seeing people start talking about making intake manis and then me never seeing results *cough*bigedogITBs*cough*

none, I have been busy taking the rest of the car apart to sell parts, My cousin works with intakes and heads on a regular basis so I'm going to wait to show him what I'm working with and how worthwhile it'll be in the first place. Did not forget about it, just busy with other things first. I will update as soon as I have any updates worthwhile though.

I put a cedric JDM motor in the black 5/87T I just sold. That was a couple years ago. I posted a similar thread as this and after much discussion, someone posted a flow comparison chat between different model intakes and several prototypes showing that this manifold had no advantage over stock. Have fun playing with it though.

1988 300ZX Turbo, Shiro Special #760
    1988 300ZX Turbo Automatic (wife's car)
    1991 Hard-body 2WD

http://zccw.org/zccw/?page_id=1215

let me know if you can find that info with the flow comparison, I could only find the 2nd gen maxima intake listed in flow comparisons.