Intercooler as first mod?

• Intercooler as first mod?

So I've been talking with the owner of this performance shop that came highly recommended by a few people from the local aftermarket tuning community, and his recommendation for the best first step in building my Z (after intake and exhaust) is to install an intercooler kit. I know the common wisdom around the Z31 community is that an intercooler isn't worth the cost unless you've already got the boost upped significantly, but if I'm not extremely concerned about bang-for-buck and was planning to add an I/C at some point anyway, is this still a bad idea? Is there any specific reason to NOT install an intercooler until after I've upped the boost to 10lbs or so? I've already bought an HKS EVC but I haven't had it installed yet, so I could get it all done at the same time anyway, but some feedback from the gurus here would be nice.

The reason I ask is because this guy's shop has built a bunch of different projects dating back to the 80's including his personal vehicle, a turbocharged 1982 Toyota Supra that does a 4.8s 0-60 run. He really seems to know his stuff, but the intercooler (he says he can get his hands on the HKS kit) is not cheap and I'm worried his primary concern isn't to build my car right but to talk me into buying a bunch of expensive parts I don't yet have any real use for.
    Zoey - 1987 Z31T GLL - HKS EVC / CM SS 3" turbo-back / Stance GR+
    Black Betty - 2014 Audi C7 S6 APR1

You could go ahead and do it now. But for the price of the HKS setup, you could buy some custom reground cams, adjustable cam gears, lightweight flywheel and DXD clutch and still have some change left over.

You are thinking correct to be worried about him suckering you into buying something more than you really need. Do you homework, lots of it, and then make your decisions and then let him put them on if you feel comfortable letting other people work on your car.

I have the HKS kit, not installed yet. It's pretty cool telling people you "X" brand part for the bling or wow factor. But everyone has different tastes and budgets. I bought mine used, so I payed roughly half of what it cost new. If you are smart about intercoolers, you can make your own setup for cheap.

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

First mods IMO should be brakes, suspension, intake and exhaust.

Get it to stop, handle and breath before anything else

1988 300ZX Turbo, Shiro Special #760
    1988 300ZX Turbo Automatic (wife's car)
    1991 Hard-body 2WD

http://zccw.org/zccw/?page_id=1215

reddzx wrote: First mods IMO should be brakes, suspension, intake and exhaust.

Intercooler would help it breathe cooler air, so what's the issue here?

reddzx wrote: First mods IMO should be brakes, suspension, intake and exhaust.

Intake is done; exhaust has been pissing off the old lady for the last month as it sits in a box in our guest bedroom. Hopefully I can get it installed before she dumps me over it. As for brakes, I'm honestly pretty impressed with the stock setup.

Suspension though… yeah. That's as good as done once I get my hands on a Stance coilover setup and a whole wack of bushings.

NissanEgg, we're not all professional mechanics. Or talented hobbyists. Or even borderline competent hobbyists. I used to DIY out of necessity, but I often did more harm than good. These days I have the luxury of letting the pros handle that stuff on my behalf. For me, any modification costs must include labour. Except for the intake - I actually did that myself, without any loss of life or property damage. Yay me.

Anyhoo, I think I'm gonna go ahead and get the HKS I/C kit… I'm pretty sure I'll end up wanting one eventually. Thanks for the advice, guys.

Get a quote on a custom I/C setup from a few places first, it might even be cheaper than a HKS.

'84Z31 GLL turbo|theZenthusiast site: http://www.thezenthusiast.com |

Originally posted by maronee
    PS - by the way your Z31's famous here in japan, dude!!

Heh, it turns out the supplier was mistaken and had already sold the last HKS kit. Looks like it's going to be a custom job after all. It's probably for the best; this way I have the option of relocating the intake and all that fun stuff. Thanks for all the replies!

Hey Parker, you mention that you have a HKS EVC, im planning on getting a HKS-VI myself and wanted to know what model was yours? And how it has worked for you, I have a I/C kit that i havnt installed and really want to get a HKS EVC to do it all at the same time.

I have the EVC-V and it works fine. I had to turn the gain up 20% as it was beginning to open the wastegate too early and wouldn't build boost, but with gain at +20% and boost set at 10 lbs, it spools up nice and quick, and stays very consistently around 10 under throttle.

What do you mean by Turn Up the Gain 20% Ive never used a EVC, just reading on up on the basics. Also was it hard to install? Where your did you connect your boost gauge, pictures if you have time plz and info. Really interested and couldn't find any diagram that look good. I even YouTube it to see if anyone has ever uploaded a How To on z31, no luck. Of any EVC nor boost gauges. Thinking of making some, little is document on these cars with actual footage.