Idle problem

• Idle problem

Hey guys, my car recently started idling high again and no one wanted to comment on my thread so..

I checked for vacuum leaks and I absolutely have none.
    You can hear from the intake that it's sucking a lot of air. It only happens if I rev to about 1500-1800 and it'll stay there for a while or sometimes it will fall back down. I'm not sure if it's because my car is hot or not. When I first got the radiator installed there wasn't much hot air coming from it but now it's alot hotter.
    Not sure if my water pump is going out.
    Attached Files
    • 004.jpg (97.3 KB)
    • 005.jpg (93.5 KB)
    • 300zx Turbo 010.jpg (97.8 KB)
    • new 007.jpg (49.3 KB)
    • 006.jpg (87.6 KB)

maybe your idle controls took a dump

gah damnit, hope not haha
    i disconnected the harness connected to the aicv and it still idled high I looked at the butterfly valve and it wasn't sticking

I know I only find all my teeny vac leaks when I just say fuck it and replace all the hoses instead of "inspecting" them. when I did that on this z31 there was no one thing that was totally pooched but there was a big overall difference when I replaced all the lines and tightened up all the boots in the intake.

not sure about the turbo but an NA only needs one vac line to run (manifold to FPR) and it only needs to be three inches long so it's actually not that hard to troubleshoot if you know where everything is.

start unhooking vacuum lines and capping them, maybe what they are hooked to is going bad. remember that tee for the climate control goes to a whole bunch of things. if your air regulator is stuck wide open, the only way to test that for sure is to pull it off and block the hole (which isn't actually hard, just a pain.) and make sure to check all your intake boots.

I'm only harping on the vac stuff because that still really sounds like a vacuum thing/leak.

to test the aicv, did you turn off the car while it was warm, unplug it, then start the car? I think you need to do that based on the idel adjustment procedure.

have you bled/burped your cooling system since the rad replacement?

I am in the same position… old, busted ass (patched) original vacuum lines from 1987- I'm about to replace them all as FrozenZ mentioned.

Funny, I have had the engine out twice and upgraded a lot of stuff on my car but, I dread swapping out the vacuum lines more than anything.
    Everything is Meaningless.