Odometer Troubles

• Odometer Troubles

Ok so basically Im trying to figure out what would cause my odometer to not work anymore, PO had already removed cruise control so I have never got the chance to mess with it. I have never removed the dash either, is this something I can fix without having to remove the dash?
    1985 300ZX Turbo- Wrecked R.I.P.
    -Stock
    04/87 300zx Turbo GLL- Project Car/Daily
    -Built Heads, Cams, HX35....etc.
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab w/Hemi- SOLD
    -Banks Full 3in Exhaust, Edge Evolution Tuner Chip, K&N Cold Air Intake, BBK 90mm Throttle Body, Full JL Audio Sound System(speakers, amps, subs) Pioneer Touch Screen Head Unit
    2014 Chevy Cruze Lt RS- Daily
    -Stock 1.4T Autotragic

Odometers are usually driven internally by the speedometer. Cluster will have to come apart. Its pretty easy to get out.
    5.3 LSx Z31

Yeah the internal motor burns out. Common problem…

1985 Nissan 300ZX 2+2- My first Z, back in the family
    1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo RIP 4/87 - 4/28/2011
    Under Construction: 1986 Nissan 300ZX NA2T Slicktop
    Originally posted by Tempestas
    Well, one of the t-tops wasn't latched real well… God only knows where that t-top flew off to at 150+ mph. Didn't scratch the car or anything, just a boom and it was gone. I sure as hell didn't stop to see where it went. I didn't see any stories on the news… so that's a plus.

TearingRaven;320530 wrote: Yeah the internal motor burns out. Common problem…
    So it should be pretty obvious when I take out the cluster?
    1985 300ZX Turbo- Wrecked R.I.P.
    -Stock
    04/87 300zx Turbo GLL- Project Car/Daily
    -Built Heads, Cams, HX35....etc.
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab w/Hemi- SOLD
    -Banks Full 3in Exhaust, Edge Evolution Tuner Chip, K&N Cold Air Intake, BBK 90mm Throttle Body, Full JL Audio Sound System(speakers, amps, subs) Pioneer Touch Screen Head Unit
    2014 Chevy Cruze Lt RS- Daily
    -Stock 1.4T Autotragic

I've pulled them before and I don't recall it being hard. Fun part is getting the cluster out.

1985 Nissan 300ZX 2+2- My first Z, back in the family
    1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo RIP 4/87 - 4/28/2011
    Under Construction: 1986 Nissan 300ZX NA2T Slicktop
    Originally posted by Tempestas
    Well, one of the t-tops wasn't latched real well… God only knows where that t-top flew off to at 150+ mph. Didn't scratch the car or anything, just a boom and it was gone. I sure as hell didn't stop to see where it went. I didn't see any stories on the news… so that's a plus.

So where do you get a new motor from? My entire dash works except for the odometer, so i'd prefer to repair it rather than replace the entire assembly.
    Proud Owner of an 86' 2+2

XXR 526 17x9 Wheels

Id like to replace mine while I've got it out too, anyone know where to get just the replacement motor??
    -1977 280Z, 5 speed, light Blue
    -1986 300ZX, Turbo, GLL, Grey Metallic, (will be Sliver metallic), (Project)
    -1984 300ZX, Turbo, GL,(Parts Car)
    -2003 350Z, 6 speed (Dads)

It would help to know what the year and model of your Z. Please inform us with that because of different year/model configurations.

I have a couple of working, complete odometers for the 84-86 digital style dash. Can remove the motors and transplant. PM for price and shipping.