rocker shafts

• rocker shafts

just put my rockers back on after valve seal replacement and couple lifters replaced. when i tightened the rocker shafts down i started from the middle and worked out to sides alternating sides. 2 in the center, next left, next right, end left, end right. i did it in about 4 increments. when i finished i went to turn the crank and it will make a ping/ting sound. it doesnt do it on every valve and i cant tell if its the same ones every time.

heres a video of it http://youtu.be/COj2Ow8MPKc[/video]]

i looked at the intake valves while turning and dont see anything touching.

id also like to know how important it is to turn your valve springs a particular way like the haynes manual says?

Believe the valve springs have to sit a certain way so they compress like they are supposed to.
    Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)

300zxturboftw;347315 wrote: Believe the valve springs have to sit a certain way so they compress like they are supposed to.
    ^this. plus your lifters may not be fully primed as well.
    Hmmm, Whats next?
    Full Size Bronco, smashing shit.

84ZXT

shromy;347316 wrote: ^this. plus your lifters may not be fully primed as well.
    I figured lack of fluid might have something to do with the sound. I made sure when I disassembled the heads I put rubber bands around lifters to keep them in place. I also made sure not to turn them upside down.

it's center out as well as criss-cross is the safest way, as it keeps the whole lifter cage from getting twisted.
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic

i didnt consider crisscross. forgot that rocker bolts hold down lifters. however there are 2 guide pins for lifter cage to prevent movement.

i played with it a bit tonight and it seems like i hear it when the cam lobe is at its highest and lowest point. ie cylinder 1 intake valve will ping at lobe top and when it rotates 180*. the noise isnt as loud today and im not ready to start the motor so i can prime the lifters.

so if im putting heads back on and then applying lifters and rockers do i need to do anything special?

i set #1 piston to tdc
    applied heads
    set cam timing to punch marks
    installed belt
    counted 40 rubber teeth from cam to cam
    counted 43 from LH cam to crank
    set tensioner
    tightened rockers
    hand turned crank a few times to check work
    then the noise

You don't have to crisscross, just odd/even, but the tighter it gets, the less turn I give it between alternating, so it usually takes 6-7 loops to tighten fully for me

is it safe to assume the fsm is saying the narrow pitch portion of the outter springs need to be on the bottom and the wide pitch on the top? just says narrow pitch towards cylinder head. only indication is little black arrow pointing downward. haynes manual made it seem like you need to turn the spring.