Thinking about Playing a Starion Tune

• Thinking about Playing a Starion Tune

So in the midst of struggling to find another decent z31, I came across an 86 conquest on craigslist. Guy says it runs but needs some work, and the body is decently clean. He just wants the thing out of his back yard. 700 cash gets it. So for need of a project car, i think I'm gonna pick it up. Anybody got any first time buyer advice?
    1985 300zx N/A - All Original - Red - SOLD
    1984 300zx N/A Slicktop - Paint and Interior Mods - Yellow - SOLD
    1987 Nissan Pulsar - Slammed to the Ground - Blue - Death In a Parking Lot
    2002 Kia Sedona Minivan - P.O.S.

Currently in the Market for another Z.

1.Unreliable
    2.Crappy "EFI" (throttle body injection, though) that is often problematic
    3.Weak engine…2.6L Inline 4 with a small turbo, crappy head…weak internals
    4.Worse suspension geometry than the Z31
    5.Weak drivetrain
    6.Difficult to source parts for, new and used
    7.Slow unless swapped

Other than that, I'd buy it. I want to put a turbo VG in one with S1x front and rear suspension and all Nissan drive-line components just to piss the starquest guys off…and because it'd actually be a decent car then.
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

4G63T swap it
    Prius… because Pretentious wouldn't fit across the back of the car…

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick any two

My 1986 Turbo Build

Personally, I think the flatbodies are ugly.
    FSM
    http://www.starquestgarage.com/manua…ual_index.html
    Parts Manual
    http://www.starquestgarage.com/parts…ual_index.html
    Aftermarket heads/cams/valvetrain
    http://www.racetep.com/starhead.html
    Random stuff
    http://www.enginemachineservice.com/conquest.html
    Aaaaand a "n00b owner" checklist I used to do a lot of my research.
    http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/i…howtopic=66449
    Feedback- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19840

michaelp;348771 wrote: 1.Unreliable
    2.Crappy "EFI" (throttle body injection, though) that is often problematic
    3.Weak engine…2.6L Inline 4 with a small turbo, crappy head…weak internals
    4.Worse suspension geometry than the Z31
    5.Weak drivetrain
    6.Difficult to source parts for, new and used
    7.Slow unless swapped

Other than that, I'd buy it. I want to put a turbo VG in one with S1x front and rear suspension and all Nissan drive-line components just to piss the starquest guys off…and because it'd actually be a decent car then.
    michaelp - My roommate is quite the starion gear head, so I already know its a POS, but I want one anyways

floridaZ - I appreciate the helpful links, they will be greatly utilized. Thank you sir.

I will keep you guys updated on how things go. I just really need to get my hands into a project car, this driving a jeep everywhere is killing me.
    Hopefully soon I'll be getting my hands on another Z. Thinking about just building a trasher drift slut until I have the finances to do what i want with it.

The G54B motor that is in it is a torquey motor. Don't expect tons of power like the 4G63T can dish out. Moderate boost increases is safe on stock bottom end. Lots of people who want real power swap in a 4G63T and call it a day.

I want to buy a clean StarQuest. I lust after 80's wedge cars.

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

The general consensus is that they're garbage, but I want one. That 80's space-triangle sports car look gets me.

Should be a fun project. Do it.
    5.3 LSx Z31

i r teh noobz;348862 wrote: The general consensus is that they're garbage, but I want one. That 80's space-triangle sports car look gets me.

Should be a fun project. Do it.
    I believe you are correct. But hey. I want one too. Its that lust for the 80s.

Weak engine lol....waooo I see you know nothing about those 2.6 engines done right they will make more power than the vg30s any day.im from puerto Rico an those engines are in the 7777ss all day…they take those engines an used them on toyotas conquest are to heavy..is like saying a 2.6 rb26 don't make power or unreliable lol....YouTube guys see them there..

turbofedz;348937 wrote: Weak engine lol....waooo I see you know nothing about those 2.6 engines done right they will make more power than the vg30s any day.im from puerto Rico an those engines are in the 7777ss all day…they take those engines an used them on toyotas conquest are to heavy..is like saying a 2.6 rb26 don't make power or unreliable lol....YouTube guys see them there..
    Yea but ricans are crazy mofos… they have vg30's doing 7's too

turbofedz;348937 wrote: Weak engine lol....waooo I see you know nothing about those 2.6 engines done right they will make more power than the vg30s any day.im from puerto Rico an those engines are in the 7777ss all day…they take those engines an used them on toyotas conquest are to heavy..is like saying a 2.6 rb26 don't make power or unreliable lol....YouTube guys see them there..
    Just because a RB26 and the starquest engine are both 2.6Ls doesnt mean they're comparable. lol RB is leaps and bounds better.

I have like 5 friends with Starquests. They're unreliable turds, they need MPI swap to make any power…and the stock internals can barely hold half of what a stock VGs internals can (Keep in mind there have been 770whp stock internal SOHC VGs, even though everyone argues it…WWR supplied dyno sheets etc. Its all in the tune)
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

G-E;348943 wrote: Yea but ricans are crazy mofos… they have vg30's doing 7's too
    lol ^ this guy. That made me giggle.

update:
    unfortunately the guy sold the conquest an hour before I went to go pick it up… so… new idea: 1978 Honda CB750. This should be fun.