oil filter location

• oil filter location

Is there anything that can be done about the location of the oil filter to make it easier to work on? Anything?!?!?

Whats the problem, and why would you need to work on the filter? Its not that hard to remove from underneath.

1988 300ZX Turbo, Shiro Special #760
    1988 300ZX Turbo Automatic (wife's car)
    1991 Hard-body 2WD

http://zccw.org/zccw/?page_id=1215

Search for mustang filter relocation here in the forum.

I take my starter out each time so I don't get oil on it (have the external oil cooler setup). Still can do it from underneath in less than 10 minutes.

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

My problem is the starter. Its covered in oil.

Old tip:

Use a punch to create a small hole at the filters low point, leave the punch in the filter body. Have a catch cup handy, hold below the hole and remove the punch. The oil from the filter will drain for disposal. Now when the filter is removed it will not burp oil all over your starter/wiring.

I remember a member created a 'tongue' that bolted to the block to route oil draining from the filter away, can't remember who…

If you take the cruise control actuator loose from the fender and move it out of the way, you can get to the filter MUCH easier. Those of us who have deleted cruise probably have forgotten how much this obscures the filter, especially if you are still running PS. When I first got my Z, I couldn't even FIND the filter, with all the stock stuff in the way. I did the first oil change from underneath, but realize now that that isn't necessary if you get that cruise actuator out of the way!
    Butter (credit where credit is due): "You have this "gift" where you can make cooking a Hot Pocket seem like you need a certain wavelength microwave and involve brown mustard."