exhaust cutouts

• exhaust cutouts

has anyone ever had an exhaust cutout on there turbo z?i know it will sound great but will it affect how i will boost?exhaust cutout meaning(open dump) by some people right?
    87 2by2 na2turbo,AE shell comin soon

How it sounds depends greatly on where you install it. I personally hate hearing exhaust underneath me. Install it as far back as possible, or at least route its output out back. It will affect boost, but in a good way.
    Chuck Stong
    300+ Parts and Performance owner
    http://www.300-plus.com
    2002 ZCOT president and always active member

where exactly on the exhaust system would you put your cutout if you were puttin one on?

87-85turbo wrote: where exactly on the exhaust system would you put your cutout if you were puttin one on?
    I would place mine right before the catalytic converter. If you don't have a cat, I would place further back before the piping bends over the half shaft and into the muffler.
    Originally posted by Andrew84zx
    tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
    545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

87-85turbo wrote: where exactly on the exhaust system would you put your cutout if you were puttin one on?
    To be honest, I would not install one on a car that did not have a good exhaust system (say 3" mandrel for a turbo car). That being said, I would install one just before the muffler.
    Chuck Stong

and why is that?

Why would you put a cut out on shit exhaust?

1985 Nissan 300ZX 2+2- My first Z, back in the family
    1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo RIP 4/87 - 4/28/2011
    Under Construction: 1986 Nissan 300ZX NA2T Slicktop
    Originally posted by Tempestas
    Well, one of the t-tops wasn't latched real well… God only knows where that t-top flew off to at 150+ mph. Didn't scratch the car or anything, just a boom and it was gone. I sure as hell didn't stop to see where it went. I didn't see any stories on the news… so that's a plus.

i had my z running daily on an open dump- lasted about a week, then i had to put the exaust back on (i changed my clutch and was testing) performance was great it felt really fast (i think it felt fast combined with the sound!!!) but i couldnt hear anything inside. now iam running open exaust at the cat (no cat) right underneath the tranny. is faster than complete exaust, but i will be doing the 3" exaust (no muffler or cat) soon, i just cant stand not being able to hear the radio and too may vibrations inside.....

ps- in mexico running no cat is not illegal..

As i walk thru the valley of rice, i fear no Honda, cause boost is with me.....
    85-Turbo-5 speed,BOV,FMI,15Psi,Mustang rims,
    87-Turbo-Automatic w/overdrive,LSD, Stock

TearingRaven wrote: Why would you put a cut out on shit exhaust?
    what shit exhaust?

TearingRaven wrote: Why would you put a cut out on shit exhaust?
    Why not? What difference does the rest of the exhaust make since you're not using it anyway.

87-85turbo wrote: and why is that?
    I would put the cutout in front of the muffler just for the sound. Having a cutout open under the passenger compartment will get anoying really quickly. Cutout in the back sounds good and is not annoying.
    Chuck Stong

all i have left on my engine is:

AFM
    TPS
    CHTS
    FPR
    INJECTORS
    DIZZY

i'll post pictures tonight, when i get a chance.

i just finished doing a bunch more clean up.

84z31 wrote: all i have left on my engine is:

AFM
    TPS
    CHTS
    FPR
    INJECTORS
    DIZZY

i'll post pictures tonight, when i get a chance.

i just finished doing a bunch more clean up.
    i have all that plus PCV

As i walk thru the valley of rice, i fear no Honda, cause boost is with me.....
    85-Turbo-5 speed,BOV,FMI,15Psi,Mustang rims,
    87-Turbo-Automatic w/overdrive,LSD, Stock

I dont understand the cutout by the muffler thing.

If I were to do a cut out it would be for the simple fact that I would be able to the best kind of exhaust for a turbo car (which is NO exhaust). Therefore MY cutout would be placed right after the turbocharger. If I am running a cutout then it is not for the sound, it is for the advantage of NOT having exhaust pluming as a restriction. This would also save me however much on a custom exhaust that I would no longer need, if I could just flip a switch and open up my electric cutout.

Then again, it depends on if you are running a manual or an electric cut out. The electric cut outs are pricey so you prolly wouldnt save much LOL.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20… underway for summertime daily driver.

SATAN wrote: I dont understand the cutout by the muffler thing.

If I were to do a cut out it would be for the simple fact that I would be able to the best kind of exhaust for a turbo car (which is NO exhaust). Therefore MY cutout would be placed right after the turbocharger. If I am running a cutout then it is not for the sound, it is for the advantage of NOT having exhaust pluming as a restriction. This would also save me however much on a custom exhaust that I would no longer need, if I could just flip a switch and open up my electric cutout.

Then again, it depends on if you are running a manual or an electric cut out. The electric cut outs are pricey so you prolly wouldnt save much now that I think of it LOL.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20… underway for summertime daily driver.