for those who have rebulit heads and the block....(question)

• for those who have rebulit heads and the block....(question)

I have an 86 z31t motor. i have rebulit the block and and in the process of porting and rebuliding the heads. the question i have is how difficult to have the timing corrext when putting the motor back together. i been talking to a couple mechanics about it and they seem scared and unsure. any info would be greatly appreciated.

its no different than a timing belt job, you put the belt on so all the lines match the marks on the cam and crank gears and you are done. turn it over a couple times by hand if you are worried about it. Getting the distributor back in right might take a couple trys

40 belt teeth between the cam dots and 43 belt teeth between driver cam dot and oil pump dot.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20… underway for summertime daily driver.

evpena wrote: Ii been talking to a couple mechanics about it and they seem scared and unsure..
    steer clear of thoes guys

Rule #1 in that trade, Always pretend you know what your doing :gni when in doubt check the books

are the valves or the pistons supposed to be aligned any way before i mount the heads on the block. when i took it off the heads and belt i had it on the marks but wondering if it is different after the heads and block have been rebulit?

This is a great place to get help, but theres lots of info in the haynes, chilton, and FSM on your questions

rebuilding a motor wont change its timing

evpena wrote: are the valves or the pistons supposed to be aligned any way before i mount the heads on the block. when i took it off the heads and belt i had it on the marks but wondering if it is different after the heads and block have been rebulit?
    Just set the #1 piston at tdc and set the camshaft gears to the alighnment marks before you reinstall the heads. Its not too complicated.