New tokico blue rear shocks

• New tokico blue rear shocks

Please forgive my ignorance, but this is my first time doing car work.

I ordered some Tokico blue shocks for the rear of my 88 ZX and they did not come with a dust boot for the piston. There was just a small package of hardware and the shock itself. The shocks that are currently on the car are not the original ones. They are some AC/Delco shocks with a metal sleeve that covers the piston. I'm guessing this is why the original boot is missing.

How important is it to have a dust boot? Can I just pick up something at an auto parts store or should I be ordering a special part? Can I drive for a while without a boot and install one in a week or so? What exactly is a bump stop and where does it go on the shock assembly?
    1988 NA2T 2+2 (currently using an 84T ECU)

Boot doesn't matter if you live in dry areas. But wet, snowy areas it would be best to have one to keep the rod from rusting. You should be able to get at local parts store.

Bumpstop can go on the rod of the shock. Some cars have bumpstops on the suspension components.

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

Okay thanks. One more thing. I'm not quite sure of the correct way to put this hardware back together in the strut mount on top. I have an idea, but I want to make sure its right to ensure the longest life of these shocks.

The numbers indicate the order that the hardware goes back on the old strut.

This is what came with the new strut. I'm guessing it goes washer, rubber grommet, metal spacer, nissan top mount (thing with the bolts from the original strut), rubber grommet, washer, and then the top nut.

Am I close?

I think. Your shocks didn't come with a little piece of paper showing the orientation of the parts?

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

Nah, all they came with was the warranty card and a letter from Tokico saying to reuse the OEM hardware. I'll try what I have and see how it goes.

Thanks for the help.