Noob ? How to tell a turbo motor from a non turbo.

• Noob ? How to tell a turbo motor from a non turbo.

So it doesnt have a valve cover or exhaust manifolds. I know its dumb question but i just have to ask, what key features can i look for?

Edit- never mind

you should probably look to see if there is a turbo hanging off the drivers side of the motor.

No manifolds

quick look at the oil pan for the return line there (but that can be put on a NA motor easy)

safety blow-off valve on front of intake manifold for turbos and it is blocked off for turbo (again, an easy switch)

Yank heads and see if you have dished pistons. Otherwise, pretty much same bare motors.

If it is in the car just look at the vin. If it is out of the car (which I am assuming it is) then you can do a compression test. I don't remember exactly what the different comps are on turbo vs. NA, but some searching should yield some results. Other than that… Look to see if it has an oil return line in the driver side of the oil pan. should be something like 1/2" or so… hose barb fitting coming right off the side of the oil pan. You can look to see if the oil supply line is plugged or if it is open from someone pulling the turbo and just leaving the hole there.

There is probably others but that should get you going.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20… underway for summertime daily driver.

Sweet, will do. Thanks for the help with a dumb question. I just didnt know

rebornLuZZifer wrote: quick look at the oil pan for the return line there (but that can be put on a NA motor easy)

safety blow-off valve on front of intake manifold for turbos and it is blocked off for turbo (again, an easy switch)

Yank heads and see if you have dished pistons. Otherwise, pretty much same bare motors.
    I don't think it has either intake OR exhaust manifolds. But yeah, if it does have the intake, the POV would be a dead giveaway if it was not tampered with.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20… underway for summertime daily driver.