Engine bolt question…

• Engine bolt question…

Can someone tell me what this bolt does or holds down? Is there coolant running underneath it? Thanks.

MikeZ wrote: Can someone tell me what this bolt does or holds down? Is there coolant running underneath it? Thanks.

your as clueless as i am. but if i posted a picture of my block from the same angle without the heads.. you'd be saying… ''UH.. WHERES CYL#5!?!?!" since mine doesn't exist anymore =] lmao

Beck let me know that it holds down the coolant pipe that runs under the intake manifold. Thanks guys.

yes. it holds the long coolant pipe and if you don't bolt it down properly you will stress the gasket on the back of the engine or possible the front of the thermostat housing, and it will leak and could be catastrophic as it overheats your engine.

on the VG33 engines, you'll find that there is a knock sensor in the same area. one could put the knock sensor back there and just have it unplugged (which is what I will do). but if you do that, make double sure you put liquid thread sealant (the white stuff) before tightening that bolt down, or its hell to get to.

you basically have to remove damn near the entire top half of the engine to get to it if it goes bad.

IMHO this is a critical bolt to pay attention to.

Careless wrote: yes. it holds the long coolant pipe and if you don't bolt it down properly you will stress the gasket on the back of the engine or possible the front of the thermostat housing, and it will leak and could be catastrophic as it overheats your engine.

on the VG33 engines, you'll find that there is a knock sensor in the same area. one could put the knock sensor back there and just have it unplugged (which is what I will do). but if you do that, make double sure you put liquid thread sealant (the white stuff) before tightening that bolt down, or its hell to get to.

you basically have to remove damn near the entire top half of the engine to get to it if it goes bad.

yeah…my VQ has a knock sensor in the valley, and its bad…:lol:
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

[quote]michaelp wrote:
    Originally posted by Careless
    yes. it holds the long coolant pipe and if you don't bolt it down properly you will stress the gasket on the back of the engine or possible the front of the thermostat housing, and it will leak and could be catastrophic as it overheats your engine.

there should be another place where you can bolt a sensor to if the stock one fails. common repair for the z32's is to relocate the sensor all together.

[quote]Careless wrote: [quote=michaelp]

there should be another place where you can bolt a sensor to if the stock one fails. common repair for the z32's is to relocate the sensor all together.
    The VQ actually has 2 of them…I can get to it without removing the intake manifolds, but its a PITA
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -