Worth it to do E-fan mod

• Worth it to do E-fan mod

I'm debating back and forth whether its worth it to do the E-fan mod. I wouldn't see any real reason to do it unless some of you have definitely noticed some gains in throttle response and even a little HP, I realize it's not going to be much. Also I'm afraid if i get something like the flex-a-lite black magic xtreme 188 or 180 that its not going to be constantly cooling the engine like the clutch fan and will only come on through the set temperature. Any thoughts?
    Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)

what does it matter if the fan isn't on constantly? thats why you run e-fans off a thermostat. they come on only when they need to. do you want them on at highway speeds when the airflow past the radiator is doing all the work? not really. even the clutch fan freewheels at lower temps when it's not needed.

as far as advantages, you might get a little better engine response/power, but probably not enough to notice. but it does clear up a TON of room in front of the motor when you remove the clutch fan and shroud.

Ya I think the whole point of the e-fan for me was to fit space for an intercooler I suppose.

wow… just wow…

a e-fan doesn't add hp it doesn't add throttle response it cools your engine while your idle, these cars have a very small area for air to pass trough. These cars can overheat VERY easily. having a E-fan only helps with crawling and slow moment.

do you honestly think a e-fan is going to cool at speeds of 50mph+? at that speed theres more air going in then the e-fan can push/pull.

he gives me shit all the time about the money i spend on my car but he simply doenst understand what type of "high" you get from watching a stock car transform into something alive with as much emotion and feelings as any human.
    Originally posted by PurePontiacKid
    My god… 10 pages and so far he's only pulled the motor out of the donor car, and bought some valvetrain parts for it? way to be proactive guys.

300zxturboftw wrote: I'm debating back and forth whether its worth it to do the E-fan mod.
    Yes, if you have the dough.

New 2 Z wrote: wow… just wow…

a e-fan doesn't add hp it doesn't add throttle response it cools your engine while your idle, these cars have a very small area for air to pass trough. These cars can overheat VERY easily. having a E-fan only helps with crawling and slow moment.

do you honestly think a e-fan is going to cool at speeds of 50mph+? at that speed theres more air going in then the e-fan can push/pull.
    1st when i was talking about hp i was more recognizing the throttle response and taking drag off the engine. I figured it wouldn't be necessary as much at higher speeds, and was only worried about stop and go which is why i was wondering if a fan blowing at a low speed would be better than on and off. but from your suggestions it seems to be fine with the on and off, so thats all I needed to know. Thanks

I bought a $17.00 thermostat controller, and a $50.00 efan from advance. I haven't had any cooling problems, used the same setup on an 85 turbo and a 87 na2t. The na2t went a tad warm one day at the drive thru on a 100 degree day. I do not have a/c or as much power as some of the guys.

Removing the clutch fan from the water pump may free up a few horses. Not enough for you to feel, though it might show up on a dyno. Reduced water pump wear is another possible plus, though I haven't seen anything telling me how much, if any, difference in life it makes. But the engine bay space… is most certainly worth it IMO.
    Feedback- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19840

floridaZ wrote: But the engine bay space… is most certainly worth it IMO.
    holy jeebus does it make a difference. looks cleaner, no more fan clutches going out, tons more room for IC piping or whatever you may be doing to your Z, etc.

but in my opinion the number 1 reason next to space for an e-fan is you can setup a switch to use it for in between runs at the strip to cool off. :-)
    Four Doors for More Whores

[quote]vagabond wrote:
    Originally posted by 300zxturboftw
    I'm debating back and forth whether its worth it to do the E-fan mod.
    Yes, if you have the dough.
    If you have the dough? It's like a $40 mod! Well, it could be. If I were to do the e-fan mod I'd want the maxima alternator as well. Plus, I would want all my wiring to be secret squirrel and look stock. I'd say it's worth it just because it cleans up the engine bay soooo much.
    Originally posted by AZ-ZBum
    Reading your posts is like watching an idiot becoming dumber.

ordered the flexalite 180. it draws 18 amps when its on, so I doubt i'll need a new alternator as I dont have any stereo equipment or extra stuff in the car. Anyone have any problems with stock alternator drawing around 18 more amps?

floridaZ wrote: Removing the clutch fan from the water pump may free up a few horses. Not enough for you to feel, though it might show up on a dyno. Reduced water pump wear is another possible plus, though I haven't seen anything telling me how much, if any, difference in life it makes. But the engine bay space… is most certainly worth it IMO.

Thats not true. a "few" horses is a bit shy
    of what they really can hold back.

you can see very large (respectively) gains from removing your clutch fan from the accessory drive. Especially in the upper rpm ranges of certain engines. Infact, you might even see more gains than you would from a performance air filter kit.

A friend of mine with a camaro has seen pretty healthy gains in power at certain rpm. Only thing changed was suspension components and clutch fan to e-fan swap.

+1 for the free space.
    Chicks dig me, rust fears me.

I haven't done it yet, but I will.. I took the fan and shroud off the other day to do something down there; and yay the room available with just the shroud out of the way.. I like - But, it's gotta go back in for now!

The biggest thing for me was that my engine stopped making fan noise. I had a seized fan clutch.

Just be careful you don't go too big on the electric fan. I run a 16" Summit S-blade fan and an 84-85 N/A alternator and it really bogs down when I turn it on.
    1976 280Z 2+2 Turbo
    '81 L28ET, '84 Turbo ECCS, '84-'85 rotors + Toyota 4x4 front calipers + 240SX rears, Z31 DXD Stage I clutch kit, Evo intercooler, Tokico lowering springs and HP blues
    "I drive an S30…your stock equipment is my future upgrade!"