is my lsd working?

• is my lsd working?

well recently had the car up on the lift to change the diff mount and my buddy noticed that when you turn the driver side wheel the passenger side doesnt turn but when you turn the passenger side the driver side turns. i thought this was odd being that i thought with lsd when you turn either wheel the other should move. my car is an 87t made in 6/87 so i know it has lsd but my question is, is this normal? im pretty sure on my 88t that i had it didnt do this.

When the other side does turn, does it turn the same way?

Turn it harder.
    BLOZ UP.com
    It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

id have to check again but im pretty sure it turned the other way. is that normal

I had a 3.54 open diff get "stuck" a once.

I can't remember what I was doing, clutch or something, but I had the rear in the air. I turned one wheel and the other went the same way. I tried from the other side, same thing. I knew the thing was an open diff, and I couldn't figure out wtf was happening.

So, when I finished my work, I backed it out the driveway. As soon as I came to turning the wheel to get on the street, I heard a somewhat pronounced "clunk", from the rear. Then, from that moment forward, it was back to an open diff.

End story.
    BLOZ UP.com
    It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

NJMRz88 wrote: well recently had the car up on the lift to change the diff mount and my buddy noticed that when you turn the driver side wheel the passenger side doesnt turn but when you turn the passenger side the driver side turns. i thought this was odd being that i thought with lsd when you turn either wheel the other should move. my car is an 87t made in 6/87 so i know it has lsd but my question is, is this normal? im pretty sure on my 88t that i had it didnt do this.
    If your tires do not spin the same direction with the rear end in the air, then your LSD is not working properly.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20… underway for summertime daily driver.

what should i check for? is there anything that would cause this

Bad clutch discs.

1988 300ZX Turbo, Shiro Special #760
    1988 300ZX Turbo Automatic (wife's car)
    1991 Hard-body 2WD

http://zccw.org/zccw/?page_id=1215

reddzx wrote: Bad clutch discs.
    +1… Age, a lot of these diffs are just wore out. You can rebuild them though. You can search that if you need.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20… underway for summertime daily driver.

If the discs are needed, I happen to have a couple of sets left over currently. Let me know if you need them.
    Shiro Special # 981 Being assembled in my spare time Chromoly acquired!
    Originally posted by BoostedMamma
    Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

is there any way i could tell for sure if its the clutch discs are bad??? i know when i first got the car about 4 months ago and had it on the left both tires spun and i dont even beat on the car so not really sure what happen, guess old age like you guys say.

Pull the differential, inspect per the FSM, and probably tear the clutch pack down.
    http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

sounds like my best bet is to just rebuild the differential. i had the diff cover off yesterday because it had a little crack in it and when i took the cover off i seen some kind of writing on something inside the diff it had like numbers on it i think it said 1,1,2 or something like that. im not even sure what part is was writtin on because i have no idea whats what in there i should have took pics but was wondering if thats an indication that maybe something was changed in there or does it come like that from the factory

Your best bet is to properly diagnose if there is a problem and repair accordingly.
    http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

NJMRz88 wrote: sounds like my best bet is to just rebuild the differential. i have no idea whats what in there
    Have fun! Don't forget to post back when your diff starts clunking or making whining noises, or if it just throws the spider gears out the side of the casing like a man's diff.

Don't rebuild something when you cannot name every single part you touch.

what i was asking was if its normal to see some kind of writing inside the diff? i dont intend on rebuilding it my self because i have no idea how to. i do small things brakes,oil change, etc. if it looks like i can do it i will try it out. my buddy does most of my work but hes so busy that its hard for him to even take a look at my car and i dont trust my local shops they screwed me over big time with my last z