exhaust

• exhaust

hi i was wondering what kind of exhaust setups some of you guys are running and what you would recommend. i have an 88 na and the exhaust needs to be done and i don't want it to sound like a ricer.

Certified muffler or MSA catback are my top choices. I went with a MSA catback and custom made the downpipe out of mandrel bent pieces. Check out the TURBO FAQ for recommendations.

He has a N/A the sound difference between a turbo z and an N/A is night and day.
    My reccomendation is either turbo your car now instead of spending 300 to 500 on silly cat backs or build your own for less and have an exhaust shop put it on. No muffler you choose will make it sound ricey. Your not dealing with a buzzy 4cylinder, this is an old school tractor v6. Lol! I liked the sound of my N/A with just a straight pipe in place of the muffler but for your case any magnaflow, or dynomax muffler will work. Peace.
    "Its the s12's sexy over weight step daughter, the z31"

Tractor V6? I'm not familiar with the VG30E being used in a tractor, much less a V6. As a rule of thumb MOST tractors are Inline engines, preferably I6s

He's comparing it to a tractor engine, unlike the ricer high pitched sound.

NissanXRMA wrote: He's comparing it to a tractor engine, unlike the ricer high pitched sound.
    VG30Es sound pretty high pitched and ricey NA straight piped (no cat)

2 1/4" exhaust /w cat, no muffler (dont let the muffler you see fool you, its not hooked up…lol):
    http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e295/ … t=NAZ2.flv (outside)

http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e295/ … nt=NAZ.flv (inside)

2 1/2" exhaust w/o cat or muffler:

http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e295/ … NY0819.flv (outside)

http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e295/ … cruise.flv (inside)
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

I've never straight piped an N/A so i wouldn't know i guess.

NissanXRMA wrote: I've never straight piped an N/A so i wouldn't know i guess.
    I posted 4 videos, whats your opinion? with a cat or some sort of resonator, they're fairly deep sounding, but no cat is high pitched and raspy between 3k and 4k IMO
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

With the cat it sounds nice and throaty. The inside video w/o the cat sounded ricey when you shifted. Was that the 86 when it was still an N/A? Old video…

NissanXRMA wrote: With the cat it sounds nice and throaty. The inside video w/o the cat sounded ricey when you shifted. Was that the 86 when it was still an N/A? Old video…
    Yeah, it was the 86 as a NA. Had a TON of rasp around 3k-4k then it smoothed out kinda like a turbo higher....

3 inch open downpipe FTW.
    "If your car cant do a burnout from a 60mph rolling start, then your engine needs more work."

"Nitrous doesn't blow up motors; Idiots with nitrous blow up motors."

Shooting for 500whp

85NA2T wrote: 3 inch open downpipe FTW.
    For real! I ran mine with no downpipe at all Sunday night before coming back to West Chester for the exciting schooling I get (LOL). Sounded sick!

[quote]michaelp wrote:
    Originally posted by 85NA2T
    For real! I ran mine with no downpipe at all Sunday night before coming back to West Chester for the exciting schooling I get (LOL). Sounded sick!
    Were your ears ringing?!
    85 NA2T in progress

[quote]bust0023 wrote: [quote=michaelp]
    Originally posted by 85NA2T
    For real! I ran mine with no downpipe at all Sunday night before coming back to West Chester for the exciting schooling I get (LOL). Sounded sick!Were your ears ringing?!
    No, infact I drove my 86 with just a downpipe for a few months…I once drove it NA /w just a downpipe too, which is A LOT louder than a turbo w/o a downpipe.

Aaahhh, didn't know you were turbo. I used to race my Neon with an open header. Next season the strip started a dB limit. Haven't raced since. And wow, that car was L-O-U-D. I can see why they do the soundcheck now…
    85 NA2T in progress