Worn out wastegate acuator?

• Worn out wastegate acuator?

I don't get it. I took the vacuum/boost line going to the wastegate acuator and spliced in a "T". I ran it threw a filter to try to raise boost. My boost still ran at 7-8 max. I let it vent to the atmosphere and it still ran max at 7-8 mas. I deleted my pov. Is there a chance that something is worn and wont let it raise?

If you're having trouble with your internal wastegate you can do a number of things. The quick fix would be to find a spring and attach it to the wastegate actuator to give it a bit of a hand staying closed at higher boost pressures. The better thing to do would be to give it a good inspection and determine the problem with it.

Wait how are you trying to raise boost?

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
    1990 jetta vr6'd

DeleriousZ wrote: If you're having trouble with your internal wastegate you can do a number of things. The quick fix would be to find a spring and attach it to the wastegate actuator to give it a bit of a hand staying closed at higher boost pressures. The better thing to do would be to give it a good inspection and determine the problem with it.

Wait how are you trying to raise boost?
    Yea ^^^^^^ i just thought the same thing....
    89' Turbo-R.I.P. (scrapped)
    87' NA all parts swapped from 89', Stance, 3.3 long block, hx35w, Injector Dynamics 1000cc, isky cams, pathfinder intake, front mount, megasquirt v3.57 w/MS3X
    07 Frontier XE <----(turd) daily

I thought that the diaphram started opening the wastegate when it sees boost getting to a particular point. I thought if you let it vent lower the pressure the diaphram sees, it will stay closed longer to allow a higher build up of boost.

I found the answer.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16995&p=177000&hilit=wastegat e+boost+sees+turbo#p177000

perna00 wrote: I found the answer.

http://z31performance.com/forum/vie … bo#p177000
    +1 For searching!!!!!
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20… underway for summertime daily driver.

I got the "T" moved to the correct line going to the acuator and vented it to the atmosphere. Runs consistantly at 10psi without spikes or detonation/missing.

So now you have a nice vacuum leak.. :-? Why not just get a mbc instead of trying all this ghetto shit.
    Bolt on, fast, z31. You can only pick two.
    Old weaksauce numbers: 391hp/433tq

I never really thought of it as being a vacuum leak. It hasn't effected my idle. It has to make some difference because it is after the mas but maybe I don't notice it because it is before the butterfly. I eliminated the pcv, egr, emmision, and other vacuum devices so maybe it is leveling it all out. Idle still sits between 800-900 rpms. I'm still going to get a spring system though.

I was reading up on the controllers and if I'm understanding correctly, having the wastegate set at 10 psi causes the turbo to run with more pressure everytime it spools up. Even if I'm not running it under heavy throttle or wide open; after it hits a certain rpm, the turbo is generating 10 psi....correct? That means even if I'm not boosting at max psi, the turbo is still getting the extra stress of the increased pressure? The main reason people prefer an electric one that is switchable easily?

I think you don't really understand how turbos and airflow really works. Turbochargers are load based in the way they flow air, the more exhaust energy driving the turbine (more load) the more boost they will make/air will be flown. So if your boost controller/wastegate is set up to run a maximum of 10psi, the turbo will only reach that when there is sufficient exhaust energy. Be that high rpm's low load (ish) or mid-low rpms and high load.

So in regards to your comment, the turbo will reach 10psi whenever there is sufficient exhaust energy to create it. You can cruise at lower boost pressures, you just have to be easier on the throttle. At 10psi there will be more stress on the turbo, it is unavoidable.

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
    1990 jetta vr6'd

I think I got it now. I'm new to turbos. Had a few supercharger setups I ran but only had to worry about BOV's for them.

Superchagers have wastegates too. They don't waste the air but bypass the turbine back into the intake. At least on the xterra S/C. Thats all I know.

So I got my manual boost controller in the mail yesterday. I was checking it out and noticed that there is a smaller hole in the exiting hose connection. I understand the spring and resisting the amount of pressure going to the exit port, but why is there a small hole (maybe 1/32th) on the shaft of the fitting? Is it to bleed off any trapped pressure? Also, I was curious what the 3rd line was off of the turbo. . one is the supply, one is to the wastegate acuator, and the 3rd is . . ? Thanks.

To bleed the pressure.

Two ports for pressure.