electrical help…240z

• electrical help…240z

I replaced the old points based dizzy with a new 79 280zx dizzy. The 280zx dizzy in stock form uses an e1280 ignition module attached to the body of the dizzy. I decided to use a GM HEI ignition module. There are several writeups on replacing the points dizzy but none exactly fit my situation. I took the info I needed from different writeups to wire mine up. It isn't working so far and I'm not sure why. I'm getting 11 volts at the coil up to the coil side terminals of the module but nothing on the distributor side terminals. I'm thinking that either I'm not getting a good ground on the module or the dizzy…or the module is defective. It's new but could still be defective. The module grounds through a metal plate on the back of it. I have it mounted to an aluminum heat sink.
    Here's a diagram of the stock ignition and the way I've got mine wired. The red shaded part is irrelevant here because a PO removed the ballast resistor.

Check this out may help, scroll about 3/4 way down. May have already seen it I dont know. Switch B and C?
    http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/gmhei.html
    Hmmm, Whats next?
    Full Size Bronco, smashing shit.

84ZXT

I've seen them all but thanks for the reply. That guy is using a 76-78 dizzy. I'm using a 79 part that came with the e1280 module. And my wiring had already been modified. The ballast and noise suppressor had already been removed along w/ the tach signal wire.

try grounding the unit using a spare bit of tough wire instead of the aluminum heat sink. ground it to the body for starters, and see what happens.

do you have the electric conducting grease under the module, I know those gm modules your supposed to put some special grease under them before you bolt them down.

"Beer is proof that god wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

khyronzx wrote: do you have the electric conducting grease under the module, I know those gm modules your supposed to put some special grease under them before you bolt them down.
    Yeah I did that. It's heat sink grease that comes with the module.
    The consensus on the s30 forums is that the wiring is good. It's a small consensus though…not much response to my problem
    One guy suggested the pickup coil in the new dizzy may be bad. I'm going to test that out.
    And Raff…I've tried several ground points.
    Thanks!