88T GLL Radio acting funny

• 88T GLL Radio acting funny

Well guys, I searched and didn't see anything about this, so, here goes:

The Problem:
    Sometimes after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, the radio won't come on. All the time: The radio gets louder when the parking lights are turned on, and only the SW steering wheel control works. and pushing the volume knob won't turn on or off the stereo.

Anybody had this problem or one similar and have a fix?

Thanks in advance,
    Sean N.
    Originally posted by bronzemfp
    Passengers should be confined to the trunk/hatch area. properly secured and only given enough air to survive in a sedated state for the duration of the trip.

Not sure if its related, but I had a stupid fuse that I bought that was intermittent. It would do funky things with the radio. When I turned on the lights, it would turn off. I'm not sure why it did that but perhaps replace the radio and interior light fuse and see if that helps at all.

If you've ruled out any external reasons for the stereo to be malfunctioning, and are
    intent on keeping the stock stereo, contact Wild Bill about a refurb:
    http://www.webwarden.net/wildbill/re…econdition.php

Troubleshooting the internals of these stereos is a pain in the ass. I've got 7 or 8
    84AE and 84-85 GLL radios and one 87-89 GLL, and the factory manuals for them (84-85).

A couple of them have the same problem with the power/volume switch (potentiometer).
    Unfortunately getting to the potentiometer to clean/spray the contacts requires
    removal of other interior circuit boards to get to the circuit board that has
    the potentiometer on it.
    I refurbed one of mine, got it all back together only to watch it let out the magic smoke when i
    powered it up. Something inside shorted and blew out the power circuit.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Understandable, But it doesn't explain why the lights make the volume louder, pushing the cruise control switch on or off makes the radio go full volume, or why all the switches on the steering wheel beside the volume have now started working…

ugh…I hate broke stuff…

Thanks for the replies. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

*Also, I've tried a different steering wheel (from an 87) and the controls work in the exact same manner.*
    Originally posted by bronzemfp
    Passengers should be confined to the trunk/hatch area. properly secured and only given enough air to survive in a sedated state for the duration of the trip.

Z_Karma wrote: I refurbed one of mine, got it all back together only to watch it let out the magic smoke when i
    powered it up. Something inside shorted and blew out the power circuit.
    "Every electronic component has smoke trapped inside. When you release it, the component no longer works" - Electronics 101