Dash installation problems

• Dash installation problems

Okay, pulled out the old cracked up dash from the slicktop yesterday. Came out easily enough, but now that I am putting in the new one, I can't get the metal piece (that holds the vin tag) to hook over the lip right under the bottom of the windshield :

I can get it to hook on, but once I take pressure off the dash it pops back out. I checked and the wiring harness is clear of the air ducting and other areas where it could get snagged, one thing I noticed is the air duct pieces that attach to the vents themselves, then connect to the the further back ducting piece, are not lining up correctly.

What am I not doing right ??

Also when I do get the metal piece to hook onto the lip the 4 10 mm bolts that go into the vents in the front of the dash, the bolt holes do not line up with the holes in the vents :

Anyone else had this problem? Is it possible that this other dash is warped ? The metal piece (that holds the vin) is the same piece, I swapped it over from the other dash....

I remember when I did my cluster swap it was kind of a pain with 1 person to hold the dash up and keep it from falling before i can get a few screws in I only swapped clusters and harnesses though i didnt use a whole new dash. As far as ik they are all the same. are you sure u got it lined up side to side?
    86 NA
    87 Turbo
    Member of the "zetto sun-ichi" group

Local MN car forum/club anyone welcome..... fivezeroseven.net join!

I put in the screws on the lower part of the dash (on the sides and in the center) to hold it in place, I tightened them down and the dash sits pretty firmly, doesn't move around at all, but the top screws still don't line up, but when you look at it you can tell it doesn't fit right, its kind of crooked.

I think that plate in the front of the dash needs to be realigned… I'm going to pull the dash back a bit and see if I can mess with it.

yeah i wonder if something is bent…where did u get the dash from?
    86 NA
    87 Turbo
    Member of the "zetto sun-ichi" group

Local MN car forum/club anyone welcome..... fivezeroseven.net join!

edicer2 wrote: yeah i wonder if something is bent…where did u get the dash from?
    A friend gave it to me. It was originally tan but he used that plati-color spray paint on it and painted it black. It kind of sucks because when I was putting the dash in a lot of that paint flaked off. But I am going to eventually get a dash mat to cover it up.

After pulling out the dash again and realigning that plate on the front of the dash, I was able to get 2 of the 4 top screws into the dash, and all of the screws on the bottom are in. I'm calling it good, dash sits nicely in the car and has ZERO movement.

Did you change the plate that the vin plate attaches to? Sometimes those tend to warp to the car and its easier to drill the rivets holing them on and attaching the old vin to the new plate.
    88SS - #300 - http://z31performance.com/showthread.php?18360

Dr. Pepper PhD. wrote: Did you change the plate that the vin plate attaches to? Sometimes those tend to warp to the car and its easier to drill the rivets holing them on and attaching the old vin to the new plate.
    I used the same plate. The only other plate I have is probably in the same condition as that one, and my budget will not allow a new one. I was only able to get 2 of the 4 top screws in (the other two holes still don't line up), but all other screws through out are in and I did a few tests with the dash (trying to move it around in various spots) and it doesn't move at all. I'm calling it good for now, maybe after the dash has time to set (and I start driving it) the vibrations from the road will allow it to set so I can get those last two screws in.