AE Flares on a Kouki

• AE Flares on a Kouki

Hey guys,

Basically got hold of a pair of AE flares, wanted to know if these can be fitted to a kouki and what kind of work/modificationis involved before I go start chopping stuff up

Thanks

Driftworks - Build Thread

Anything is possible....

It requires a lot of modification to the 1/4 panels to fit.
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Why bother??? The wide body quarter panels on the 86-89 appears to give the same flare as the AE flares. I would sell them to a 84-85 Z31 and put the money in your car elsewhere
    Restore it, Don't crush it. They don't make them like this anymore.

Scott
    85 Turbo, original owner, restored
    93 NA Babied

Or use them as a template for an oversized rear quarter for the later Zs. Maybe get some 325s back there
    DD:
    86 Black Turbo 5spd
    The Fallen:
    84 red n/a auto Slicktop, 86 Black 2+2 n/a 5spd
    Parting Currently:
    86 White Turbo 5spd, 88 n/a 5spd, 84 AE, 88 Shiro #64
    Garage Sale

FlyingT wrote: Why bother??? The wide body quarter panels on the 86-89 appears to give the same flare as the AE flares. I would sell them to a 84-85 Z31 and put the money in your car elsewhere
    because they look completely different- regardless of shape.
    what other reason could you not think of?

i have a set that I was going to bring to the JY with me to cut an 86 up to check fitment.... didnt get around to it yet. dont want to cut up my 88 or my 87

[quote]Careless wrote:
    Originally posted by FlyingT
    Why bother??? The wide body quarter panels on the 86-89 appears to give the same flare as the AE flares. I would sell them to a 84-85 Z31 and put the money in your car elsewhere

i have a set that I was going to bring to the JY with me to cut an 86 up to check fitment.... didnt get around to it yet. dont want to cut up my 88 or my 87
    I can take a cut out of the SS or the 86T in a few weeks. Ship them out to you
    DD:
    86 Black Turbo 5spd
    The Fallen:
    Parting Currently:
    Garage Sale

I want them purely cause I think they look nice.

I got 'em last night, just mocked them against my Z in daylight and looks like only mod that needs to be made is drilling holes in the 1/4 panel and chopping the mounting hole off the arches where the side skirts go…

might make molds of these first, would be a crime to chop up the originals

I want this mod to be reversible if I am ever to remove the AE flares

HA. I got flammed out the asshole for asking this when i first joined a few years back.

NissanXRMA wrote: HA. I got flammed out the asshole for asking this when i first joined a few years back.
    probably because no one saw the beautiful 50AE themed kouki that had them installed. YEW SEW STOOPIT. WAT A DEUMB IDEAR. GO DIE PLZ

[quote]Careless wrote:
    I would much rather have flared fenders that look like they were designed with the car than a bolted on add on that looks aftermarket. Just my opinion. When I was restoring my 85T, if I was to add the AE flares, I would have had them blended in so they would have looked like part of the quarter panel. That is why the 86 is constantly voted as the best looking Z31, not the AE which is identical except for the paint color and add on flares. The AE flares look like an after thought when compared to the 86.

Now, if you were making a kouki AE replica, which the OP did not mention, then I can see using them. Other than that, I would put my money elsewhere.
    Restore it, Don't crush it. They don't make them like this anymore.

Scott
    85 Turbo, original owner, restored
    93 NA Babied

OEM widebody + flairs = widerbody.

widerbody = gooder, except when talking about women.

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
    1990 jetta vr6'd

[quote]FlyingT wrote: [quote=Careless]

I would much rather have flared fenders that look like they were designed with the car than a bolted on add on that looks aftermarket. Just my opinion. When I was restoring my 85T, if I was to add the AE flares, I would have had them blended in so they would have looked like part of the quarter panel. That is why the 86 is constantly voted as the best looking Z31, not the AE which is identical except for the paint color and add on flares. The AE flares look like an after thought when compared to the 86.

Now, if you were making a kouki AE replica, which the OP did not mention, then I can see using them. Other than that, I would put my money elsewhere.
    I'm not making an AE kouki rep, have you actually seen my Z?

Careless was refering his comment to NissanXRMA

Everyone has their opinion, just because you're against the AE flares doesnt mean I have abide by your opinion, I didnt start this thread to ask for an opinion on how it will look, I'm asking about fitnent modification.

Congrats on your best voted car or whatever, your medal is in the post

Picks of a later z with AE flares please!!
    DD:
    86 Black Turbo 5spd
    The Fallen:
    Parting Currently:
    Garage Sale

AE > 86 In my humble opinion. Most of that is the paint though, I love the robo-panda scheme the AEs have going.
    Feedback- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19840

floridaZ wrote: AE > 86 In my humble opinion. Most of that is the paint though, I love the robo-panda scheme the AEs have going.
    I feel the same but the 86 is damn close that's why I got both.