louvres from MSA

• louvres from MSA

Anyone have pics of the MSA louvres on their car?

Any idea why they are advertising 2 different hatch louvers? One says 84-86 aluminum, the other says 87-89 ABS with rear wiper??? All Z31's have rear wipers. I think they mean 87-89 with high 3rd brake light.
    Restore it, Don't crush it. They don't make them like this anymore.

Scott
    85 Turbo, original owner, restored
    93 NA Babied

87-89 has the 3rd brake light so you have these two i am pretty sure
    84-86

87-89
    1984 300ZX - 1988 VG30T Engine, Trans, Diff, ECU
    1987 300ZX TURBO - ( Parts Car ), 1988 300ZX TURBO - ( Parts Car )
    1972 240Z -- Full restore - L28ET L6 Engine from 280zx, T-5 transmission, Rear diff from the 87
    1998 Mazda B-2500, And a lot of bikes

the ones I have dont look like either of those. Mine are aluminum.

Greasedmonkey wrote: the ones I have dont look like either of those. Mine are aluminum.
    Because you have the Chastain brand like inqui-z-tor.

"Let's play Battleship! There's enough Z's for that.."
    My thread thingy: http://z31performance.com/showthread…ep-Zed-84Zed31

[quote]84Zed31 wrote:
    Originally posted by Greasedmonkey
    the ones I have dont look like either of those. Mine are aluminum.Because you have the Chastain brand like inqui-z-tor.
    Do a google image search for Chastain Louver and quiz's car is the 3rd image, from the website of the son
    of the guy who designed that style of louver. I've got them on my AE.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

FlyingT wrote: And idea why they are advertising 2 different hatch louvers? One says 84-86 aluminum, the other says 87-89 ABS with rear wiper??? All Z31's have rear wipers. I think they mean 87-89 with high 3rd brake light.
    I'm guessing the "wiper" information is provided is because back in the 80s .. there were louvers made for cars with and without wipers. The one's without wipers were lower (slightly) profile. It's just a carry over from marketing in those days.

edit: OR? Could be that when the ABS' were made .. it turned out that the final product interfered with the wipers (especially in HOT CA weather) .. so to use the ABS's .. it was advised to remove the wiper?? (Again .. this is back in the 80s .. marketing was different back then)
    '84Z31 GLL turbo|theZenthusiast site: http://www.thezenthusiast.com |

Originally posted by maronee
    PS - by the way your Z31's famous here in japan, dude!!

[quote]inqui-Z-tor wrote:
    Originally posted by FlyingT
    And idea why they are advertising 2 different hatch louvers? One says 84-86 aluminum, the other says 87-89 ABS with rear wiper??? All Z31's have rear wipers. I think they mean 87-89 with high 3rd brake light.

I'm guessing the "wiper" information is provided is because back in the 80s .. there were louvers made for cars with and without wipers. The one's without wipers were lower (slightly) profile. It's just a carry over from marketing in those days.
    Yeah but the description is meaningless since there are wipers on all Z31s. It has to be the 3rd brake light that makes the 2 louvers different, that is the only difference between 84-86 and the 87-89 Z31 hatch.

Scott
    93 NA Babied

[quote]FlyingT wrote: [quote=inqui-Z-tor]
    Originally posted by FlyingT
    And idea why they are advertising 2 different hatch louvers? One says 84-86 aluminum, the other says 87-89 ABS with rear wiper??? All Z31's have rear wipers. I think they mean 87-89 with high 3rd brake light.

Yeah but the description is meaningless since there are wipers on all Z31s. It has to be the 3rd brake light that makes the 2 louvers different, that is the only difference between 84-86 and the 87-89 Z31 hatch.
    I'm only guessing … MSA is just (perhaps) repeating the discriptions they were given by their supplier (source) of the louvers. We're talking a 20+ year old car (albeit a Z) and I doubt they have ready access to both models to do a test fit.

RXGhost wrote: 87-89 has the 3rd brake light so you have these two i am pretty sure
    84-86

87-89
    Top one looks like the Interpart brand/style. Interpart had that "fin look" on the louver edges.

I've seen the bottom one (style) before, it appears to be Interpart ("fin look") but I can't recall with any accuracy (LOL .. too long ago)

Seems to me, you need a funky rice spoiler to be able to pull the look off on a 87+ car. Those smooth lines are too de-80zed to pass

Bottom car (blue) is mine. I think they were dealer installed since there is an instruction thing about them in the glove box along with the owner manual and warranty info. Someone said (can't remember who) dealers didn't do that so who knows.

Also that spoiler was just for mock-up purposes and nothing ever came of it.

I was thinking about selling my louvers actually since I don't use them.
    Originally posted by SATAN
    Originally posted by Twisted`Z
    All the violence and destruction of God's wrath is saved for those who oppose him
    I accept that challenge. I have seen "gods wrath"… I'm not impressed.
    Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25322

[quote=cdiver666]Bottom car (blue) is mine. I think they were dealer installed since there is an instruction thing about them in the glove box along with the owner manual and warranty info. Someone said (can't remember who) dealers didn't do that so who knows.

The dealer I bought my Z from did infact install louvers or had them installed November 1983. They are just like cdiver666 only an 84 without 3rd brake light :lol: . The dealer was Earl Hughes Datsun.

Back in 1985, they were a dealer installed option.

Scott
    93 NA Babied

The black 86 is mine.Those are aluminum.I was going to take them off when I first purchased the car but the look kinda grew on me so I decided otherwise.
    "If your car cant do a burnout from a 60mph rolling start, then your engine needs more work."

"Nitrous doesn't blow up motors; Idiots with nitrous blow up motors."

Shooting for 500whp