New Stereo

• New Stereo

I bought a Kenwood unit with polk speakers from Crutchfield and followed all the directions by them and the write-up by Z-bum when installing. Testing the system just caused the Kenwood to go into protect mode (common wire?) and I noticed some static from the speakers. Installed new wire to the rear speakers and I have the same problem, and now the left front speaker doesn't work, probably because of a bad connection. I plan on installing new speaker wire to the front speakers now unless somebody has a better idea. Is it possible there is something I'm overlooking?

Or better yet, pull the head unit and measure all input/outpur for correct readings. Then do the above suggested.

You did not even tell us what source you used to test, HU model, wiring used, etc. There are plenty of able people here to help you. Do the leg work and ask for help/clarification as needed.

I blew out one of the front channels on a cheaper Sony unit by using an adapter harness (before I found ZBUMs writeup).

Double check all wiring. Bench test the unit with an old speaker if it still doesn't work properly.
    5.3 LSx Z31

I'll figure it out and know what I have to do. I was just looking for some info that maybe was specifically related to the z31 that I wasn't aware of. Thanks for your comments.

I would just run new wire to all four speakers. At least my car used a high level common ground setup, which new stereos CANNOT interface. Just run new wire through the door boots (I used a coat hanger and carefully pulled the new wire through. It will suck to do, and take time, but is worth it!) and hook it up to power. I used a small speaker to retain the bitching betty.

If you have any questions, this is what I do for a living. Feel free to ask! Have fun!
    "Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you…"

-'68 Datsun 1600 Roadster
    Build Thread: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/21…-build-thread/
    -'85 300zx Turbo
    Build Thread:
    http://z31performance.com/showthread…)build-thread!

System is now working. Nothing was hooked up wrong, had a bad connector on the aftermarket harness that Crutchfield sent me, but a continuity check on all the speaker wires found that problem. Drilled a new hole in the chassis floor and used for a ground.