Door Panel Inserts

• Door Panel Inserts

Anyone modify theirs to look different from the factory pleated leather that falls to pieces after 20 years of service?

here's the insert I made last week. It's red dyed Zebrawood, made from REAL bookmatched veneers. Currently it's 15 degree sheen, but I'm thinking of sanding it and spraying it with 60 or 70 degree sheen (high gloss).

It will also go into a black door panel. I just pillaged the metal backer from the brown door so they're ready to be installed in the black interior when the time comes.

my 88T is red, so with the black interior, red console wood, and door panel inserts, i think it would look pretty nice.

the right type of 80's tackyness without being ricey.

Looks good. Don't forget the velvet headliner and fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view mirror. LOL
    Shiro #443

OBVIOUSLY I need to try this with some fake Ebony wood veneer.

This was my different inserts (red leather) that match the seats in my red z.

86 NA
    87 Turbo
    Member of the "zetto sun-ichi" group

Local MN car forum/club anyone welcome..... fivezeroseven.net join!

I plan on keeping the insert material matched with the seat material, but I like where this is going.

RB20ZR;343418 wrote: I plan on keeping the insert material matched with the seat material, but I like where this is going.
    Formed wood seating!! yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

the door panel inserts are far from complete. they are going to have a sycamore overlay with cotton edge tape sewn over, and the "turbo" decal burned into the lighter wood. the red part will have a darker edge so that it blends into the black better. more to come as I slowly figure out if I like it and if I want to continue with the red, or if I want to go with full cork leather inserts and headliner instead- because I'm liking the idea of cork leather.

you can see some cork leather inserts on the mercedes f700 concept/prototype.

at least with the cork leather, the brushed aluminum/silver inserts that are on the door panel switches and center console section will work well with the colour of the cork, and I am discussing with a supplier to see if they can send me a 1 foot square sample of seamless cork leather with the proper backing to make couch-type furniture, so I might be able to take the cover off my z31 seats and do them in real leather with cork in the middle, just like edicer's red seats, except cork to replace the leather.

I like the element of wood grain in the car, but only if it's done to match something else. I dunno. it's weird. fuck it. when it's done as a total package it looks less "tacky".

i know a lot of ppl wont like it but me nah keer bout dem tings.

That woodgrain is beautiful. I can see that looking really nice with other red accent pieces.
    Everything is Meaningless.

I like where this is going. Looking forward to updates!
    Black 1985 na/coupe brought back from the dead.
    2000 frontier for work.
    2004 PT Cruiser for gettin' grocery's.