Pioneer DEH-X3500UI Problems

• Pioneer DEH-X3500UI Problems

So I got a new 4x52W MOSFET headunit (name in title) and wired it in per z-bum's guide. Well, I did my last headunit that way, and just wired the new one in per the same wires that were correct for the last head unit. Anyways, I doubled checked every power wire with a multi-meter (switched 12v works, constant 12v works, ground works-connected to a point on the chassis) and I ran new grounds for the rear speakers. When I turn on the headunit, it simply turns on and there is no sound whatsoever. All features of the headunit work fine - ipod connectivity, tuner, etc, but no sound at all. I have no external amp for my car (1986 GL).

I checked continuity in every single speaker and it looks fine. I even pulled a speaker and tried to hook it up directly with some spare wire and I got no sound out of it. There was no indication of the unit going into any kind of safe mode. I returned the unit for another one thinking that the internal amp had maybe been bad, but the new one had the same problem. I returned that one for my money back just so I could worry about it later and buy a different HU if needed.

What should I try next? I've heard from a friend with a similar problem that running a new power wire directly to the fusebox solved the problem, or maybe I should fuse directly to the battery(10A)? I don't have time right now to run all new speaker wire, but I can eventually I guess. I just don't know if that would even fix this…

EDIT: I got all new pioneer 40W RMS speakers installed afterwards and still nothing. (I had stock speakers before, amazing they were even still making noise)

I would suggest testing the unit out of the car first. Run a (fused) power and ground from the battery straight to the HU (connect the positive to both the constant and switched power on the HU). Once you have verified the unit turns on, take 1 working speaker and connect it to one of the speaker outputs. Verify the HU is producing sound on that channel. Continue the process with the speaker on the remaining 3 channels.

If all 4 speaker outputs are working correctly, then the problem lies with the wiring in the vehicle.

When you hooked a speaker up directly to the unit, was all the other speakers plugged in?

You said you ran new grounds to the rear speakers????? So you mean you ran an individual lines to connect the rear speakers correct?

Take off the door panels and the rear speakers and disconnect everything speaker wise. Reconnect them one at a time. You SHOULD get sound, if not try to connect a different speaker, once you start finding sound then you can find out which one will cut the unit off.

You basically want to isolate where the issue is. If you did what I told you and nothing works then it can be how you wired it.
    My Build Thread

Did you test for AC power across the terminals for each speaker and for the outputs on the headunit? It sounds like there is a wiring issue otherwise if your old headunit worked and the new one doesn't.
    Is the brand of the new headunit and the old headunit the same? I am an automotive installer and can definitely help you out with this.
    Z31 owner as of 27/04/12!!! Sitting in my driveway as of 29/04/12!!!
    Let the madness begin!

Instead of testing AC power, he can disconnect the radio harness and OHM each speaker from behind the stereo. He should be getting 4 ohms (or whatever the speaker gives). If he gets nothing or wild readings then he knows where the issue lies.
    My Build Thread

AC voltage shows that there is power going to the speakers and it fluctuates with the output from the headunit. (ie. as the volume, notes are played the voltage changes; there is not set number, you should just get a number that changes as a song is played.)
    Run a test lead wire from the headunit to one speaker and see what happens. Make sure it's a different wire. If that works, there is a continuity issue; even though you already tested for that. Lastly, just rewire the harness and check for bad solders, joins, etc.
    Z31 owner as of 27/04/12!!! Sitting in my driveway as of 29/04/12!!!
    Let the madness begin!

Update -

So I wired in the head unit and simply ran the power and ignition power wires directly to the fuse box, and everything sounds great! No idea why I would have to run two wires from the rear speakers instead of just that ground, but I didn't and it works perfectly. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Man.... I have the DEH 5500 HU. All you had to do was buy the little adapter for you to plug everything into the car harness, But don't wire the speakers to that adapter. Run new wire from the HU harness directly to each speaker, and you don't even have to fuck with the ground.

You did it the hard way =P Granted, i fucked up the first time I did it, myself, you still did it the hard way.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________
    "Aim towards the Enemy." --
    Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher

86 N/A:Rebuilt Autotragic, Cat Delete, PRW-2, Poly Bushings, MSA sway bars, Pioneer HU and Speakers, Sleepy Eyes
    Current 0-60: 10.0 flat =[

PrideZ31;346658 wrote: Man.... I have the DEH 5500 HU. All you had to do was buy the little adapter for you to plug everything into the car harness, But don't wire the speakers to that adapter. Run new wire from the HU harness directly to each speaker, and you don't even have to fuck with the ground.

You did it the hard way =P Granted, i fucked up the first time I did it, myself, you still did it the hard way.
    I already removed the car harness for my last head unit. And I didn't rewire any speakers at all, except two ground wires for the rears. I ran 4 new wires in total, and the rest was just hooking up the radio to where the old wires went…I don't know how it would be simpler lol, except for a direct plug and play.

Although, as we just saw, that wouldn't have worked for me anyways lol.

Also I ended up switching to a Kenwood KDC-255U instead =)

PrideZ31;346658 wrote: Man.... I have the DEH 5500 HU. All you had to do was buy the little adapter for you to plug everything into the car harness, But don't wire the speakers to that adapter. Run new wire from the HU harness directly to each speaker, and you don't even have to fuck with the ground.

Those plugs for the z is hit and miss depending on the system if it was amplified etc. Even when I did installs, I just wired them in.
    My Build Thread

Big Slappy Z;346654 wrote: Update -

So I wired in the head unit and simply ran the power and ignition power wires directly to the fuse box, and everything sounds great! No idea why I would have to run two wires from the rear speakers instead of just that ground, but I didn't and it works perfectly. Thanks for the advice everyone.
    Damn that's just ghetto. Oh well it works for you. That would never fly in my shop.

The reason why you have to run 2 new wires to the speakers is because the "circle" isn't complete if you just ground it. Your grounding to the deck to get a signal, if you ground to chassis then well you got a direct short and nothing gets returned back to the deck…in lame terms.
    My Build Thread