Rain-X removal?

• Rain-X removal?

Not a question specific to Z31's, but thought this would be a good place to solicit experienced advice…

Bought a car this week for my teenager ('07 Mustang) which apparently was treated with Rain-X prior to our purchase. If the air temperature is near the dew point, the windshield is almost impossible to see through without heating it up using the defroster. We used towels to wipe the glass inside and out, just to make sure we were sure the problem wasn't just with the defroster. The residue of "whatever" causes the windshield to be blurry if you try wiping it, and there isn't enough moisture to bead up and roll off like in a rainstorm. Honestly not sure what to use to get this crap off of the glass. I had a bad experience years ago with Rain-X and never use it.

Obviously, I've googled this and found suggestions of denatured alcohol or SoftScrub. I don't have any of either at the moment, so when I go to the store tomorrow I want to make sure there isn't something someone here would suggest in addition.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
    '86 NA - original owner (1986-93) and final owner (2005-present)

My build thread: http://z31performance.com/showthread…-Got-mine-back

I use rain-x fluid almost all the time, it does help, I don't bother using wipers half the time because I can see between the beads that roll away

Never left a smudgey film for me… possible it was something else they sprayed on, like at a carwash

Same thing happens if you leave water on cheap or old linoleum. (The film is being partially suspended.) I use IPA without issue. If that does not work I will use a striper with detergent.

Acetone might work better than denat alcohol IMO.

IPA should take that off.

I would think dish soap would work as well.

Side note, I use Rain-X on my DD consistently with no side effects. Unless its raining heavily I dont need to use my wipers at all.
    86na - BlueZ
    Shiro #366 - Kouki Monster
    85t - Mr Tickles

Never had any problems with Rain-X either over many years. I think that denatured alcohol is used as the base of the Rain-X product. Either way, as mentioned above, Acetone is a step up from Denatured alcohol and should safely cut through most any residue on glass. Good luck.
    Everything is Meaningless.

Thanks for the replies… amazing how similar these were to what I read on google… consistently, someone always says "I've never had any problems with Rain-X", and others suggest IPA or another polar solvent (such as acetone). Soapy water definitely won't cut through it. I do suspect it was a carwash-type wax since the used car dealer had it detailed… whatever it is, they've agreed to take care of it for me. If their efforts are unsuccessful, I've got these options.
    '86 NA - original owner (1986-93) and final owner (2005-present)

My build thread: http://z31performance.com/showthread…-Got-mine-back

Yea from my experience it doesn't sound like the rain-x fluid is the issue, I've seen some carwashes advertize as using rain-x as part of the process, even so it sounds like some shine enhancer additive that's the problem, not the rain-x