Taillight issue

• Taillight issue

So, before I go blindlessly digging around to try and fix my problem, I figured I should ask here first to see if anyone has encountered the same problem as me and what they did to fix it. So my problem: my taillights(the running lights when headlights and/or markers are on) stopped working, but The brake lights come on if I press the brakes. So the brake lights work but the running lights don't. Here's the weird-er thing…if I don't have any lights on at all and then press the brake pedal, the driving lights come on(along with the brake lights). Sounds like a short to power maybe? I found the purple box to be not good and replaced it. This fixed everything for about a week…then blew again. So that would mean high amperage and a possible short to power somewhere, yes? Any help in where I should start looking would be appreciated

'86 NA2T: Cone filter, 3 in. turbo back, poly engine mounts, stock t3, tokico 5-ways, rattle canned engine bay, etc etc

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I may keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride! - Amen!!!!"

Could be many things, a short in the light switch, bad/corroded/chafed harness, bad ground…

I had a similarly strange problem, and though I can't pinpoint exactly what fixed it, I got a new tail light sensor, re checked all the grounds, put in new fuses, and made sure all bulbs were working properly. Now everything works fine.

1986 300ZX N/A 5Speed project. Needs work, but that's the point, isn't it?

Double check the bulbs in the rear. If you put 1156 in instead of 1157, all hell will break out electronically.. (on some cars so far as to cause it to stall out.) usually the bulb is forced in, but if there is enough wear or if something is bent then the wrong bulbe can slip in with no issue..

Project Black Betty

mizagyu;n765606 wrote: Double check the bulbs in the rear. If you put 1156 in instead of 1157, all hell will break out electronically.. (on some cars so far as to cause it to stall out.) usually the bulb is forced in, but if there is enough wear or if something is bent then the wrong bulbe can slip in with no issue..
    I bet this is it…didn't even cross my mind til you mentioned that. Thanks a lot!

'86 NA2T: Cone filter, 3 in. turbo back, poly engine mounts, stock t3, tokico 5-ways, rattle canned engine bay, etc etc

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I may keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride! - Amen!!!!"

no problem lol. good luck!

Project Black Betty