Squeaks, creaks and rattles.

• Squeaks, creaks and rattles.

I have been wanting to post this for awhile.

Inevitably on a car this age, the damping compounds used by Nissan begin to wear out- not to mention everything else- and the creaks and rattles begin. I think that ozone and UV are the two greatest perpetraitors. After seeing FlyingT's contribution of restoring the weatherstripping seals with black RTV sealant, I decided to ask for more from our members. Please contribute ANY tips/ tricks to eliminate/ minimize INTERIOR squeaks, creaks and rattles. This would include any products used, trusted links for window replacement hardware, general aftermarket damping compounds available and ANYTHING else that you have done to help eliminate these problems. I will start with the first tip.

Neoprene foam sheeting with self-adhesive backing works wonders on interior body panels. It's also great for outside gasket material. The spoiler gasket is a good example. It's easily sealed by cutting one inch squares of Neoprene and melting holes in the center of each square with an old, worn out 1/4" Phillips hex bit. Use a common propane torch for this. Place your squares over each mounting point on the car with the holes centered and install your spoiler. Yes, some water will get underneath the spoiler but, it will dry out easily. Your main goal is to keep water out of the car.

I'm expecting contributions from some of our seasoned members (I won't call you out but, you know who you are). ~Thank You in advance.
    Everything is Meaningless.

I should have mentioned that the Neoprene sheeting I have used is 3/16 thickness. Different thicknesses are available and easy to purchase on e-Bay.

I swapped out all the interior Phillips screws with slightly larger thread bolts, rhinolined the underside, and sound deadened the interior, used generic clips from OReillys to reinstall interior, streted the meyal clips on the a pillar covers, used small bolts to repair the metal clips on the rear window interior. Now im looking for new door and window seals lol. After that in goes new deep carpet from stockinteriors.com, having a roll cage and new frame rails welded in, and i dont think i will have many noises.

Project Black Betty

I did the rear of my black 84T a long time ago with foil backed dampeners called Hushmat and Raammat. It made a significant difference in lowering the road noise.
    I ran out of the hushmat i was using and the only other stuff i found with the same thickness and foil backing was Raammat.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Great tips! My tip #2.

A difficult part of eliminating rattles is FINDING THEM. They only make themself known while you are driving down the road and you have no way to (safely) identify where they are coming from.

If you have a decent stereo system invest in a bass heavy CD (like Bass Mechanix). These frequently contain additional tracks with specific frequencies recorded either at the beginning or end of

the music. While parked, you can use the CD pure sine waves to "Sweep" through the frequencies and find which ones excite your specific rattles. Then you can treat them accordingly.

Can anyone point me to window replacement hardware or a write-up on what parts usually need replacing?

My windows annoy the piss out of me unless they are rolled all the way up or all the way down. Thanks.

One final tip… The cheap blue gel insoles for sore feet work great to stop rattles between plastic interior panels and the metal car frame.

They offer superior damping and are removable. They come encapsulated in thin plastic sheeting- cut the perimeter and carefully remove.