S14 Seat belts

• S14 Seat belts

After installing my Z32 seats I noticed my seat belts were too short. Once I was buckled in I only had a few inches of play left in the belt before it hit the end. Barely enough to reach the drivers side floor, and not even close for the passenger side. I looked into other options and found the design of the S14 belts to be very similar to the Z31. I bought a set and found the belt to be 12-18" longer than the Z31 (didn't take an exact measurement) and the set I had also matched with the Z31 buckles. They were pretty much a bolt in install. I couldn't use the side with the small screws, but they don't really seem important anyway, and I had to grind off a small hooked bit that was just for positioning. I used the bolts that came out of the car on the main reel part, and the upper part behind the panel, then used the S14 bolt at the bottom behind the seat. The main reel part doesn't sit quite as far back in the hole as the Z31 belts did, but they fit fine behind the panel, so I see no issue there. I also had to cut off a plastic guide that was on the belt because there isn't really a place for it on the Z. The new one's are much better, with plenty of slack for moving around.
    Prius… because Pretentious wouldn't fit across the back of the car…

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick any two

My 1986 Turbo Build

How can they be too short? The Z31 and Z32 seat belt holder on the seats are in the same spot. And you are using the Z31 belts? They are more than long enough. Or are you using the actual belt from the Z32?

What makes them too short?
    Restore it, Don't crush it. They don't make them like this anymore.

Scott
    85 Turbo, original owner, restored
    93 NA Babied

No idea what made them too short, to be honest. All I know is after swapping the seats I had no room to move once I was belted in. Like I said, we checked the S14 against a set of stock Z31 belts (not the one's in the car however) and they are a good bit longer. If I think about it I'll test the old ones compared to the other set of Z31 belts. The one's I tested were out of an 86, and the one's in my car were from an 84. The Z32 buckles bolted onto the seat several inches lower than the Z31, but I don't think it would be enough to cause the issue.

My 1986 Turbo Build

They're not short, Jack's just gained a few pounds!

z car go;n768129 wrote: They're not short, Jack's just gained a few pounds!
    Not really since I've owned the Z. I'm also not that big to have issues with a standard seat belt.

The point of this thread wasn't to argue about the length of the seat belts or what makes them that length. I was merely trying to be helpful by letting everyone know that S14 belts are essentially a bolt in part, and are longer than stock Z31 belts. Do with that information as you would like. If no one cares, feel free to delete the thread, I really couldn't give a crap.

My 1986 Turbo Build

Thanks for the post. My belts are getting a bit tired and the retractor spring is weak too.
    Everything is Meaningless.