Gas Tank When Welding Spare-Tire Well Pass. Rear Quarter

• Gas Tank When Welding Spare-Tire Well Pass. Rear Quarter

So the tire well is gonna be welded up.

I know my fuel tank doesnt leak (if at all, not near the tire well), but was worried about the temperature getting too hot and BOOM. I have ready forums from other cars with mixed answers.

So I put steel sheet metal between the filler neck and the front of the tire well, and aluminum sheet between the fuel tank and tire well (I used what was lying around). This was so that heat and any extra cutting will not be directly against any fuel tank parts (if at all). Now, sparks will inevitably jump around…but I was afraid of just how hot can MIG welding and grinding/cutting w/ cutting wheel can make the surrounding steel…There is enough space between the well and protective plantings for a cutting wheel to cut what needs to b cut without going through the protective plating.

Has anyone welded this part of the car before with the fuel tank still in? Attached files

Umm, why risk it? Why not just drop the tank?
    Prius… because Pretentious wouldn't fit across the back of the car…

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick any two

My 1986 Turbo Build

I am curious…

jaqattack02;n769188 wrote: Umm, why risk it? Why not just drop the tank?
    Depends how rusted everything is. Dropping the tank may be a bitch getting things to move that have been rusting there for almost 30 years. Those straps are know to rust, I had to replace one of mine 10 years ago it was rusted so bad.
    Restore it, Don't crush it. They don't make them like this anymore.

Scott
    85 Turbo, original owner, restored
    93 NA Babied

FlyingT;n769461 wrote:

Depends how rusted everything is. Dropping the tank may be a bitch getting things to move that have been rusting there for almost 30 years. Those straps are know to rust, I had to replace one of mine 10 years ago it was rusted so bad.
    My strap nuts/bolts were not rusted so I could have dropped it. In the end, my welder went ahead and welded up the spare tire well. From what he tells me, I assume he welded up the replacement panels against clean metal without cutting the rusted area below it. Only when he is done welding does he cut the rusted area. He says there is rusted metal left dangling, and that's why he still recommends dropping the tank to cut it out.

Interesting way of doing it. Why didn't he cut things back to fresh clean metal, then weld? That way there's no rust left to cause any future trouble.
    Prius… because Pretentious wouldn't fit across the back of the car…

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick any two

My 1986 Turbo Build

it's not hard to cut the straps off, and replace them…
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic

Really? How hard is it to get new straps? And for a used set, at some point you have to deal with the rust to remove them from the donor car and get a replacement set. So dropping the tank can be a bitch if everything is rusted together.
    Restore it, Don't crush it. They don't make them like this anymore.

Scott
    85 Turbo, original owner, restored
    93 NA Babied