cheap homedepot/lowes sound deadening FROST KING

• cheap homedepot/lowes sound deadening FROST KING

If anyone is interested ive seen this online and is cheap if you want to kill the road noise and make the car sound more solid.

Theres other stuff out there such as roofing peel and seal but there all toxic due to the tar gassing out.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g…rost-king.html

Been forever since I've been on corvetteforum. Aaaand you link doesn't work.
    Feedback- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19840

Well, just passing through but think this is the link he tried to post:

"http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-general/948966-dynamat-vs-frost-king.html"

For some reason when you paste the URL it adds the little … in there… anyway, try clicky on my copy and see if it works:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g…rost-king.html
    '86 NA - original owner (1986-93) and final owner (2005-present)

My build thread: http://z31performance.com/showthread…-Got-mine-back

This is what you are talking about (scroll down a bit) http://www.tim-yvonne.com/mikemercury/sound.htm

It may work okay, but for the time you are putting into it you may as well use an actual sound deaden-er. I used Fat Mat. Cheaper than Dynamat and works great!

Mine:

I FatMat'd both doors n my Z and it was a good improvement over stock: speakers sounded better, little bit less road noise, no drafts and it makes a more solid "thunk" when closed. Pain in the ass but worth it.

I used the Home Repo stuff in my hatch. It made a noticeable difference for 30 bucks and an evening of work. Its been almost 2 years and no peeling, smells, etc.
    5.3 LSx Z31

1610089_770593832980972_1761804939139942235_n.jpg
    I'm giving the Frost King stuff a shot. Don't want to go with any of the "good" ish since it's hopefully going to be coming back out within a year for stitch welding/roll bar installation.

It's self adhesive, but I'm definitely going to be hitting it with a heat gun to make sure it sticks.

Thought id add my experience. I recently pulled the entire interior in my jeep to fix some rust holes in the floor so I thought Id give frost king a shot and do the floor and trans tunnel… what a freakin difference road noise and heat are way down and it really makes driving my jeep enjoyable again, so I plan on going wild with this stuff doors, 1/4 panels maybe the roof lets see how quiet I can get the inside of a lifted jeep on aggressive tires, defiantly recommend it.
    1999 jeep Cherokee ome lift, JK rubicons on 265/70 general grabbers, rust and some other crap bolted to it wheeler/dailydriver/partshauler/camper
    1987 z31 2+2 5.3 lsx t56 swap in progress and some other things that im to lazy to type in

Yea, considering that I've only got from the rear strut towers back done up in this, I'm impressed with the difference.

I bought two rolls of the Frost King self adhesive duct wrap last night and started on the firewall in my black 84T.
    The heater core needed replacing and while i got the dash out anyway…

Temps last night were in the upper 30s and the old jute backed plastic stuff chipped out like Magic Shell (Google it kids)
    The Frost King stuff is easy to apply and is repositionable if you mess up.
    I did the rear hatch area years ago in RaaMat and Hushmat and this stuff is definitely easier to install.
    An old bed roller with a file handle on it is what i'm using to roll it into the concave areas.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Finished the firewall after work in the 36F weather last night, cold but dry.
    The foam in this doesn't get stiff in the cold weather and installing it was easy.
    I'd say about 4 hrs total, including chipping the old stuff out.

Just want to throw in my .02c here for the people who mentioned they used FatMat. Just a word of warning, Fatmat is well known in the car audio world as a subpar sound deadening agent. It tends to go through a summer or two of heat and will literally start melting away from the paper. Lot of people have done their roofs in it only to discover the next season tar either leaking down their pillars or through dome light crevices and what not. It is a cheaper product in terms of sound deadening but the tar they use is crap compared to companies like Second Skin (only brand I like anymore). Like Nater had said, you already are spending the time to do it, why not do it with a product that won't leave horrible residue all over if you ever decide to remove the deadening and leave more noticeable odors than others on the market. Obviously there are chances that these horror stories came from bad batches but SecondSkin did long term comparisons with FatMat versus their products and the sound/odor differences were incredible between the two. Just giving my opinion so you guys don't end up with stinky/noisy cars lol.

As far as the Frost King goes, I would like to hear results about that stuff come a year or two down the road with it in vehicles and see how well it holds up. Sounds and looks promising.
    Build Log Link: http://z31performance.com/showthread…-VG33-HX35-WIP

Yea… I didn't use a roller. That aluminum skin part makes itself known if you go bare handed on the install. Just sayin'…

Karma, are you gonna hit it with a heat gun before you throw her back together?

I don't think so. I don't think it needs it but i'll try a sample piece and see if it adheres better with some heat.

That's good to know about FatMat.

Nice work Zkarma, all the frost king in the jeep is holding up great so far. I never used a roller on mine just was carful not to cut myself and just made sure I had good adhesion and worked the corners and seams to make sure it was down.
    1999 jeep Cherokee ome lift, JK rubicons on 265/70 general grabbers, rust and some other crap bolted to it wheeler/dailydriver/partshauler/camper
    1987 z31 2+2 5.3 lsx t56 swap in progress and some other things that im to lazy to type in