Plan of attack for washing my car. Suggestions needed.

• Plan of attack for washing my car. Suggestions needed.

I'd like to hear from Rob-84AE or anyone else who is well versed in the art of washing/waxing.

Here's the situation. I havent washed Princess in somewhere close to a year and the last few washes before that were quick and crappy. So anyway, Princess has built up a nice layer of dirt and cone rash(thanks Kyle) and I'm looking to restore her to her former glory as best I can. I'm not looking to go nutz here because the paint isnt anything spectacular to begin with but its not bad.

Here's what I'm thinking. Let me know if I'm on the right track or not.
    1. Hand wash and pressure wash to get most of the dirt off.
    2. Claybar to get the grit/crap/whatever else off.
    3. Wash again?
    4. Wax?
    5. Buff?

I guess after #1 I'm not so sure what to do so thats what I'm asking you guys for. I'm not looking to spend all day on this but I do want to do more than a simple wash/wax job.

Or, Rob, if you read this how much would you charge to do your thing to Princess?

Princess deserves a good old cleaning :nanan?re I been using this synthetic wax it works, doesn't take to much time and doesn't cost much

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7692

Pretty much did your steps 1-5 but skipped the clay bar. The clay bar would be a good idea, I know that’s what Mike used on his SS. I know Rob is awesome at detailing but Ill wash her for you 8)

87 Z31 Stolen
    87 E30 DD
    86 E28 Cruiser
    76 280z

Day 1

1) Wash
    2) Clay
    3) Wash again
    4) Polish
    5) Final Polish
    6) Sealant

Day 2

7) Sealant again

Day 3

8) Hand Wax with a good Carnauba

Or just bring it over and let me do it. For you............no charge. I'll need it for the whole weekend, though.

Don't forget to wash with Dawn to strip any previous wax jobs before you claybar. Then switch over to a wax friendly soap like meguiers. I don't know that I'd pressure wash it either, just make sure to keep allot of soap and water on it for the first wash to keep that extra dirt from scratching the finish.

ZMIKEMAN wrote: Don't forget to wash with Dawn to strip any previous wax jobs before you claybar. Then switch over to a wax friendly soap like meguiers. I don't know that I'd pressure wash it either, just make sure to keep allot of soap and water on it for the first wash to keep that extra dirt from scratching the finish.
    I not a big fan of the Dawn to strip off the old wax (but I do know many that are.) I think that washing with a good car wash, using the two different polishes, then a cleaner wax (I forgot that step in my post above, it goes before the first sealant and after the final polish) is sufficient in removing old wax buildup.

I use to use a pure cleaner (done before the first polish) to strip off the old wax but I didn't like the squeeky clean way the car feels as you are removing the cleaner (kind of like nails on a chalk board to me.)

I agree with Make about not using a pressure washer either. Overkill and not safe for the paint surface. I also wouldn't drink from a fire hydrant.

Thanks for the offer Rob. After looking at the paint I decided it would be a waste of your valuable resources to try and polish my turd. I ended up spending most of yesterday cleaning the car. I started off with a pressure wash to get the heavy stuff off and then used dish soap to get the normal dirt off. I followed with that new ICE clay bar stuff and tried to get as much of the dirt out of the paint as possible. Some of the panels turned out very nice but other places like the hood just have too much damage. Most of the problem is small paint chips and areas where something has eaten through the paint a tiny bit. I also have a lot of swirl and scratch marks from previous washes that didnt want to come out easily. I tried some polishing paste but it didnt do much and I was afraid I'd take too much paint on if I went with something stronger. AFter the claybar and a good wipe down I used the ICE polish which seems more like liquid wax than anything else. After that I sprayed on some liquid wax. It gave the car a pretty nice shine and I figured that was all I'm going to get out of Princess for now. Maybe when we go on the photoshoot you can take a better look and tell me if the scratches will come out with some more work.

stinky used to have a cat. near the end of the cat`s life it got real nasty. and when it slept on princess it left these "spots", cat sized areas of scum. there was one on a head light and one on the hood. everytime i have seen princess since the cat died a miserable slow death at the shop i have axed stinky "when are you gonna wash this thing and get the dead cat scum off?"

it`s about time

np for the cone scuffs. someone has to drive your car…

Exercising my constitutional right to be awesome

1.5.2. Podium winning cars do NOT need to be running at the checkered flag
    good thing....