Door panels??

• Door panels??

I am replacing the vinyl on the door panels with red and black as seen, but the adhesive glue I am using isn't securing the edges. Does anyone have any suggestions that might work? Thank you

3M, spray both panel and trim then adhere and weigh down.

However I hope it does not work out for you as that looks horrible.

JMO

This is how a recovered door with 3m looks,. Did this for fun on a Maxima a while back.

me plus glue never works out well. yeah spray both items and be carefull once its on there its on there for good. i personally don't like the look. its not bad just to much contrast for me.

Contact CEMENT. Real contact cement.

Put some on the back side of the material and more on the panel, LET IT TACK FIRST, then line it up, press it on and roll/smooth the air bubbles out.
    '87T

hey how hard is it to redo the door panels…just curious i kinda wanna do it to my Z…

1988 570zx SS Edition

Originally posted by Neil86t
    Just get a slick paint job like mine and its all good. I had a girl that said she wanted to lick my car. She ended up licking my sack…end of story. Bitch ain't gonna lick my car.

"I glued myself to.....myself"

The "real contact cement" idea is what you need here. Spray both surfaces and let it tack up a bit before joining. Then make sure it is clamped or weighed down to hold in place. All edges should wrap around the corner to the backside to prevent it from getting snagged and pulled up.
    http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Just out of curiosity, did you remove the center piece and replace it with the vinyl, or did you glue the vinyl over it? If you removed it, how did you do it?
    Feedback- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19840

3M make a couple grades of spray adhesive. Get the 77 type. Use some long pieces of 1"x1/4" wood material on each side and use clamps

1988 300ZX Turbo, Shiro Special #760
    1988 300ZX Turbo Automatic (wife's car)
    1991 Hard-body 2WD

http://zccw.org/zccw/?page_id=1215

Thank you all for the in put. I went and bought some contact cement today, so I will be finishing up saturday.

I removed the material from the middle. It was easy use a thin razor around the edges. All the way around, no missing little spots. and then peel off.

Are we talking about the door panel insert here?

Instructions:

Remove door panel.

Flip over.

bend tabs on back of insert so they are vertical.

flip over.

Pull off insert.

Am I way off here?
    "produce first.talk second."

I was just thinking about that. Yes, do what Mike said.
    Shiro Special # 981 Being assembled in my spare time Chromoly acquired!
    Originally posted by BoostedMamma
    Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

Mike_GruiZinga wrote: Are we talking about the door panel insert here?

Instructions:

Remove door panel.

Flip over.

bend tabs on back of insert so they are vertical.

flip over.

Pull off insert.

Am I way off here?
    not way off at all.. that should be pretty obvious to a non-retard who removes a door panel. pop that piece out, peel off the old shit, install the new material so it wraps around the backside, glue and reinstall. i did this years ago to resecure the stock leather piece.

where do you guys buy your materials…i kinda wanna redo mine in tweed because i hate leather

1988 570zx SS Edition

Originally posted by Neil86t
    Just get a slick paint job like mine and its all good. I had a girl that said she wanted to lick my car. She ended up licking my sack…end of story. Bitch ain't gonna lick my car.

Well, ZPoorinFL took his door panel to a guy local to have it recovered. The guy then said that it was impossible because of that center piece. Ever since then I've been trying to figure out why the hell he would have said that.
    Feedback- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19840