Cluster difference that's not noted on Zbums site

• Cluster difference that's not noted on Zbums site

Perhaps it's listed somewhere else, but I went strictly off the cluster page on Zbums site and confirmed it with 4 people before buying the new cluster. However, with my luck, I got one different than mine.
    The information page doesn't state any wiring differences for the 87-89 analog clusters.

The wire harness circled is the difference. I think it has to do with the odometer. Not sure what else it could control though. Anyways, I needed the harness on the cluster, but I got one without it. :-(

1987 300ZX Turbo - http://z31performance.com/forum/vie … php?t=3114
    2001 Tiburon Turbo 60-1 270whp/268tq

No cupholders? Where am I gonna put my beer????

Re: Cluster difference that's not noted on Zbums site

I am not sure on this but, I think that is the harness for the VSS. 87-89's used a VSS in the transmission instead of a cable operated speedo/odo.
    Shiro Special # 981 Being assembled in my spare time Chromoly acquired!
    Originally posted by BoostedMamma
    Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

The speedo still works though. :-? I guess it's just the odo.

i thought only the cali models threw a light if the o2 sensor went bad? if all clusters had it, it must have just been programming in the ecu?

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
    1990 jetta vr6'd

Oh ok. Well that's not too bad then. I just mentioned odometer because one of the wires ends at a terminal that's labeled "odo". Stupid assumption then. :lol:

Evil Z31 wrote: Oh ok. Well that's not too bad then. I just mentioned odometer because one of the wires ends at a terminal that's labeled "odo". Stupid assumption then. :lol:
    Perhaps the translator stumbled O20 into ODO?
    >>> '85 Z31 NA - SOLD<<<

DeleriousZ wrote: i thought only the cali models threw a light if the o2 sensor went bad? if all clusters had it, it must have just been programming in the ecu?
    my 85t and 87 both have the o2 light and harness thing next to the hood release. my 88n/a with digital dash did not have it. none of the cars are from cali. my 87 was bought brand new in virginia.