Need help don't know what it is

• Need help don't know what it is

Hi my name is Jimmy. I just bacame a member of this forum. well the thing is that I bought a 86 300zx a few months ago and it worked good. But then one day I just started in the parking just to warm it up because I had long time without starting it I really don't use it. so I hit the gas pedal twice and there was some type of explosion and then I decided to take the car for a spin to see if it worked or what was wrong. and the car had no power it was like really bad so I worried and took a friend a few days later and then the car was working just good.
    I still don't use the car, because I think if I use it, it will pretty soon do that again.
    if someone has maybe an Idea of what that was or if it will happen again please
    or what should I do.

Re: Need help don't know what it is

check timing, MAF, leaky injectors, CHTS, ECU codes.

I LOL'ed when I read the explosion part. :lol:

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

I know men. but when I heard it I was like I'm screwd, well it actually has a sensor light on and it hasn't been runing for a while. I want to work in this car. to leave it nice.
    so u think it might be the sensor light? because I really don't know much of nothing. but planing on learning with my z31.

a sensor light? where? what does it look like?

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
    1990 jetta vr6'd

its in the dash and it says sensor so I think that is a senson light that is how I call it I really don't know what its called sorry.

hmm, is the car originally from california?

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
    1990 jetta vr6'd

It is the o2 sensor light. Every 30k it comes on, after 90K, you unplug or short the connector for the light under the steering column (?).

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

I don't know where the car is originally when I bough it it didn't had that light but now it does.
    and that means the light wont go away no more?

What it is is the O2 Sensor plug under the dash it's on the drivers side buy the three big plugs & is should say to unplug after 90K miles. Just unplug it. :nanan?re But it dont sound like thats you prob. with the way its running! :-(
    R.I.P. Elian Angel Rowley. 05/15/2010-07/22/2010
    We will never forget.

87' 300ZX Turbo

Great minds discuss ideas,
    average minds discuss events,
    small minds discuss people.
    — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover.

so I re-plugged my sensor light, but I'm just curious if the ECU doesn't bother displaying anything after 90k, or if there's a way of resetting it. Just so I know when I should inspect my o2 sensor or not… i'd like to have the light there.

or is it just not even worth looking at.

I mean the car is good from the lack of energy. I have another problem; the car kills the batery and when I start it with the jumping cables it stards but the dashboard don't cum on. sometimes it comes on for a few seconds then it goes black again. can someone help me with what might that be?

what kind of dash? digital?

check the power control module, it's a white box with a connector that has some soldering joints that sometimes corrode, and need to be resoldered.

DeleriousZ wrote: hmm, is the car originally from california?
    California cars have check engine lights, all others have a sensor light.
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

yea its a Dijital dash. where do I find that power modular or something?