4.11 long nose R200 diff questions

• 4.11 long nose R200 diff questions

Anyone know what companion flange the 4.11 R200 long nose diffs have?
    Are they 2-pinion or 4-pinion open diffs?
    Do the normal Z31 axles plug right in?
    Do I need to swap the diff cover over to a Z31 diff cover or are they the same?
    If I go from 3.54 gears to this 4.11 unit, what gear on the speedo cable-drive would I need to get to keep the speedo accurate, # of teeth?
    How much of a demand is there for these and how much are they worth?

The reason I ask is that I just scored a long nose R200 4.11 diff today out of a 1986 S12 200SX Turbo 5-speed that has about 145k miles on it. I am going to clean it up at work Monday and then open it to inspect the ring and pinion and spider gears for wear and tear. It appears that it has a "square" bolt pattern on the companion flange, maybe it will mate to the 30A driveshaft. The diff has a different mount than the Z31 and wonder if I need to swap over to a Z31 diff cover to make it work in my car.

I plan on cleaning it and repainting the steel/iron portion and putting in new pinion and axle seals and possibly mating it to a LSD finned cover that I am also eyeballing. If I decide I don't want it, I will put it up for sale.

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

I would say swap diff covers so it bolts up. As far as it being two or four pinion, I don't know. I would guess two since it is an open diff, but I guess there are some open diffs that are 4 pinion. Speedo cable… dunno. Companion flange dunno. Man, there is a lot I don't know about this. Here is what I do know…

You can pull the ring and pinion out of it and put it on your LSD z31 diff. Then everything would work, minus the speedo.

Or, you can swap companion flanges and the diff cover so it bolts right up (assuming the cross member bolt pattern is the same which I'm sure it is). I am willing to place money that it is the typical 29 spline input shafts as well.

Desireable… I guess SORTA desireable? I mean, it is probably still an open diff. The only reason someone would want it is simply because of the drag racing gear ratio. For that, you could sell just the ring and pinion for the same price as the whole diff I would imagine. Honestly, If I were looking for one, the MOST I would be willing to pay for the ring and pinion is $200. I am willing to splurge more than most on a z31 though.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20… underway for summertime daily driver.

for a turbo car, going from 3.54 to 4.11 is usually a loss of mph and et
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a mans character make him a moderator.

aceman wrote: for a turbo car, going from 3.54 to 4.11 is usually a loss of mph and et
    I could see MPH but how ET? Of course many things come into play. But as long as you are making the same number of shifts, you are going to get to the end quicker. Why does it being a turbo car have anything to do with it?
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20… underway for summertime daily driver.

I know mrfishhat had the 4.11 in his 87T and he said it was stupid fast on going, he is going to swap the ring and pinon into his VLSD. so if you need some help on that, I think he has almost everything he needs to do it as far as parts needed to get correct backlash and such.

I didnt like it for the highway, but I really liked it for autox. Kept me in the power band, and allowed for quicker snaps into and through third for straight line runs. Also keep in mind the 87t I had it in was nearly stock and I would not advise its use on anything decently powered.

I had auto-x more in mind with this and the occasional road course use. I was thinking that with a 30A I got from 1sickZ and my big lopey cams, adjustable cam gears, and "big" 62-1 T4 turbo, that it would make a decent upgrade so to speak. I always plan to use the 3.54 for long drives and normal around town cruising. Right now I have the money for complete body/engine bay respray or roughly 2 Cusco 1.5way diffs. So I was wondering if it would be worth it to mess with the 4.11.

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

i want to get me a set of 3.36's.
    "If your car cant do a burnout from a 60mph rolling start, then your engine needs more work."

"Nitrous doesn't blow up motors; Idiots with nitrous blow up motors."

Shooting for 500whp

07 Nissan Frontier 4.0 NISMO--SOLD
    84 Ranger 4x4 2.8 v6
    84 AE---Future Beast IN THE WORKS http://z31performance.com/showthread…lmost-stock-ae :-)
    74 260zT project vg30et---SOLD
    2013 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI Big Horn (DD)
    2000 Suzuki SV650S

http://www.courtesyparts.com/kb_search_ … ?keywords=[38100]+%28Z31&cPath=2317_2318_2391_2410

do those work? ^

Chrisw_2003 wrote: http://www.courtesyparts.com/kb_search_result.php?keywords=[38100]+%28Z31&cPath=2317_2318_2391_2410

do those work? ^
    +%28Z31&cPath=2317_2318_2391_2410]http://www.courtesyparts.com/kb_search_result.php?keywords=[38100]+%28Z31&cPath=2317_2318_2391_2410

Fucking board software.

Those are stock z31 gearsets. I'd assume they would work.
    http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147