Transmission ouput shaft seal.

• Transmission ouput shaft seal.

My "new" t5 transmission has a pretty decent leak on the rear rail where it outputs to the output shaft.

When I put it together I noticed that the metal piece that is detachable at the rear end wouldnt sit flat in the transmission, Im guessing thats why its leaking.

I tried to hammer the meal piece back in with a piece of wood but its always a little off, you can gear the driveshaft rub it to. I bought a new oil seal, but dont want to waste time and install it improperly and have to dissasemble it again.

Is there anything I can do? Or should I get the metal piece in and then drive the seal in more to make the seal perpendicular to the output shafT? Any suggustions?
    My Build Thread

On the T5, isn't that seal integrated with the little guard deal? I remember replacing one years and years ago and it was pretty simple. Just hammer on a 2x4 inline with the axis of the output shaft.

I went to the auto store and they only gave me the seal. I guess it is seperate. So just hammer it flush? What if i can't get the retainer straight?
    My Build Thread

Jason84NA2T wrote: On the T5, isn't that seal integrated with the little guard deal? I remember replacing one years and years ago and it was pretty simple. Just hammer on a 2x4 inline with the axis of the output shaft.
    After many failed attempts at the auto stores, all they had was the 71c seal. They said it was the same. So i went to the dealer and it was 26 bucks but came with the metal retainer. IM happy, now i can put back my sway and get this sucker installed
    My Build Thread

Well i learned that the 71c also uses a intergrated seal. Because the one they gave was for the 71c :/ i tore apart the car to and can't get a part for 2 days.

Also learned it was the spedo gear assembly that was leaking the most. The tail seal only very little.

Also learned that the Ford part doesn't work with this car, went to Ford just before they closed to find out.
    My Build Thread

Fail again!

The part number for the one they ordered is for a 85 Turbo but when they cross reference it, it shows up as for the 88turbo 90a transmission.

So the part i need is coming from the east coast and it will be a few days. IM going to slap back on the driveshaft so i can park my other car in the garage. Man they never failed me before.
    My Build Thread

are you even sure you're looking at the right transmission in your car?

How can the dealership screw something like the seal up. I just looked at nissan FAST and it's exactly as the FICHE shows and you get 4 options when you enter no engine/trans details, and you get two options when you enter both engine, trans, and 05/85 as the production date.

next time ask the guy at the parts desk to let you see the screen and look at the diagram. if it doesn't look like what you need, you can say "nope, that's not my transmission" as the diagrams are fairly close. also, if you see two seals, order both and return the one that you don't use. if THEY can't help you determine which one you're getting when they have two numbers- then they would be stupid not to agree that a refund on the unused seal is unacceptable, considering they really aren't helping you with the selection of parts.

The second time i orders it i did it over the phone cause they were about to close for the weekend. I asked him specifically for the 85 Turbo. But that Guy i never dealt with.

I did ask them if the system says what transmission the seal is for and they said no. So personally i don't think they were concentrating. Lets hope in 3 days its the right one
    My Build Thread

862sik wrote: I did ask them if the system says what transmission the seal is for and they said no. So personally i don't think they were concentrating. Lets hope in 3 days its the right one
    lol. u have to select the transmission before looking at the diags.

they're stupid.

Part came in. Its the right one i hope. Its bigger than the 71c but the price is 30 bucks more! Came out to be 50 instead of 22 bucks. They hooked it up for 31 bucks out the door.
    My Build Thread

yea I verified it. Its all gravy now, pounded it into the rear tail of my transmission.

I got all the guys in trouble that got me the wrong part, lol the boss made them do clean up duties.

Thanks guys. And thanks azbum for pointing that fiche out, I completly forgot about that resource.
    My Build Thread

I asked them Before if the match prices they said no :-(
    My Build Thread

call dealership that is a little far from where you live… i.e.- where you don't want to go to.
    make up a brief story about how "i was talking to the parts manager there the other day… what's his name again?"

call dealership you do want to go to.
    tell them you moved close to their dealership recently and you dont want to travel to the far one.
    "I used to live near the other dealership out in … The parts manager,