Whirring noise, sounds like gears not meshing in rear end

• Whirring noise, sounds like gears not meshing in rear end

Ok, I have an 86 N/A auto slicktop and I recently had to swap one of my cv axles. (The mechanic who rebuilt my transmission was replacing the exhaust and accidentally pushed it up onto the inner boot of the cv axle, tearing the boot. We have been looking without success for over a month for a replacement boot. So, long story short, I decided to take a cv axle out of my 85 n/a 5 spd and swap it into my 86 auto slicktop). That was less than two weeks ago. When I started to drive off in the Z this morning, I heard a whirring noise that caught my attention. Just yesterday I replaced my rear brake rotors and pads and at first, I thought that the noise I heard was caused by my caliper locking up on my rotor. So I checked all of that out, and was spinning the axle to make sure that everything was ok and spinning freely. When I spun it in reverse, I heard a noise, best described as a clunking that occured 3-4 times per full rotation). I put the tires back on and tried backing out of the driveway. From inside the car, it sounds like a whirring noise, or like the gears are not meshing. I am not sure about what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hope that I did not mess anything up by using a cv axle out of an 85 5 spd in my 86 auto.

84 n/a 2+2 5 spd
    85 n/a 5 spd
    86 n/a 5 spd
    86 n/a auto
    86 n/a auto slicktop

Re: Whirring noise, sounds like gears not meshing in rear en

Most likely the axle is not fully inserted into the differential. Check ASAP before you damage the splines of the axle and differential itself.

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

like nissan egg said, axles are probably not engaged into the diff.

get under the car with a rubber mallet.
    hit the axle where it goes into the differential until it pops all the way in.

you can do this while the car is on the ground (recommended to do this way).

this just happened to me 2 months ago when i took my car for its maiden spin after the wb02 install. i had it in the air and the suspension was hanging and the axles slid out too far for the diff to mesh. this is because i've learned my lesson from having the car in the air for an extended period of time- i always pop the axles out when the suspension is at full droop to avoid the cv boots from stretching at odd angles.

Thanks so much for the advice. I got a rubber mallet and tried tapping the cv axles back into the differential. On both sides, I jacked up the tire, and rotated it by hand to observe if the noise persisted. I found that the noise only occurred in reverse, and when i quickly changed rotation of the tire from forward to reverse, it made a clearly audible "clunk." That led me to listen more closely, and it appears that the noise is coming from my u-joints on the driveshaft. I crept down the road about 50 yards to listen to the car, and it was making a clunking sound, and whirring both in forward and reverse.
    I am now assuming that the problem is not my cv axles, but rather my driveshaft is unbalanced.
    Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I just remembered that the car had been making noises for a few weeks. When I was driving in the city, when I would accelerate and then have to quickly decelerate for a traffic light, the car made a clunking noise. So perhaps that is a sign that it is in fact my driveshaft or u-joints that are going out.
    I currently do not have a way to tow the Z to a mechanic. Would it be ok to limp it 10 miles into town?

you need to fix your subframe bushings. thats not drivetrain related, but suspension related. could be driveshaft- but i doubt it.