Rear End Whine

• Rear End Whine

The rearend is Whining Very loud in the 89T. Out of the middle of no were it started to whine and got louder. Its so loud you cannot hear yourself in the car. I plan to tear into it very soon but wanted to see if anyone had the same issue or there may be a common problem. I think it maybe the pinion bearing but unsure. It only whines on accel or when the rearend is under load.
    89' Turbo-R.I.P. (scrapped)
    87' NA all parts swapped from 89', Stance, 3.3 long block, hx35w, Injector Dynamics 1000cc, isky cams, pathfinder intake, front mount, megasquirt v3.57 w/MS3X
    07 Frontier XE <----(turd) daily

How's the diff oil and level?

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

Fluids good, full
    87' NA all parts swapped from 89', Stance, 3.3 long block, hx35w, Injector Dynamics 1000cc, isky cams, pathfinder intake, front mount, megasquirt v3.57 w/MS3X

What's the mileage on it?

1988 300ZX Turbo, Shiro Special #760
    1988 300ZX Turbo Automatic (wife's car)
    1991 Hard-body 2WD

http://zccw.org/zccw/?page_id=1215

75kish

remove the sway bar and drop the driveshaft, check to see if the pinion nut backed it self out some how- perhaps someone who serviced it last time forgot to stake the nut to prevent it from walking. the torque applied to the nut may have finally given up and it's now loosening up and causing excessive play. if that's not the case, before diving into it… I would un-stake it and tighten it up a bit and re-stake. play with some depth settings.

might as well do that before you go about removing the whole thing.

Careless wrote: remove the sway bar and drop the driveshaft, check to see if the pinion nut backed it self out some how- perhaps someone who serviced it last time forgot to stake the nut to prevent it from walking. the torque applied to the nut may have finally given up and it's now loosening up and causing excessive play. if that's not the case, before diving into it… I would un-stake it and tighten it up a bit and re-stake. play with some depth settings.

might as well do that before you go about removing the whole thing.
    This was my exact plan. check the nut, if that checks out, check for play in everything, try some different adjustments. From experience, usually if the nut comes loose, things get really harry on the inside. We shall see and report back.

eh if its gets hairy on the inside, you'll have to replace the pinion and ring gear anyways. so might as well just play with the pinion depth for now and if it shuts up- bonus. if not… back to square one, right?

Careless wrote: eh if its gets hairy on the inside, you'll have to replace the pinion and ring gear anyways. so might as well just play with the pinion depth for now and if it shuts up- bonus. if not… back to square one, right?
    Yes Sir.

According to the 39:11 number on the ring gear that means 3.545 gearing. Hmmmm.

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

^ not the stock gear ratio for an 87-89 turbo LSD

1991 Hard-body 2WD

Yes the car was smashed in the back driver side long before i got it and the subframe, rearend, swaybar,ect. Back there all has yellow marks from a junkyard… :-(

so unknown mileage on the diff. Time for a swap or a rebuild

1991 Hard-body 2WD

It sucks when you get surprises like this. Yes unknown miles and such. Non-Lsd. I was hoping on replacing ring gear and pinion and keeping the "lsd"…guess it really does not matter now. swap in a whole other unit.