Trans Rebuild Kits

• Trans Rebuild Kits

I have the 71C trans, and it is starting to grind some gears. The tranny is out of the car at the moment, so I wanted to rebuild it. Does anyone have any experience with rebuild kits? If so, what is a good brand? I work at Advance Auto Parts, and I currently have my hands on a Pro-King brand kit.
    09 Lancer ES 5 speed
    86 Z31 VG33E(NA2)T.

"I want it to sound like the pits of hell are going to engulf your face!"

It might be cheaper to source another 71c in good shape, people with big turbos toss those away regularly…

How much do you get the kit for ?

I have never done a gearbox myself but a few diff rebuilds, if you have the correct parts and tools and can follow the FSM then i say do it.
    85 Turbo Slick Top
    __________________________________________________ _____

I can pick the kit up for for5 bucks, that includes all bearings, seals, and rings.
    09 Lancer ES 5 speed
    86 Z31 VG33E(NA2)T.

that sounds like a soft rebuild kit.
    which is just bearings and seals.
    no synchros or anything actually worth opening a trans for.

It has the brass rings too, but not the synchro sleeves
    09 Lancer ES 5 speed
    86 Z31 VG33E(NA2)T.

I just noticed my phone didn't catch some numbers. The kit is 105.
    09 Lancer ES 5 speed
    86 Z31 VG33E(NA2)T.

I need one for my POS T-5. Noisiest, notchiest, nastiest gearbox I've ever had in a car with the worlds slowest 2nd gear synchro. The bellhousing doesn't come off the T5 does it? I can't build one on the side then swap them over one day.

yes, you can remove the bell housing.

Awesome. Z31 T5 the same as others? Or have I got to buy a Z31 T5?

It must be a Z31 T5. Mustang, Camaro, 280zx, etc all are not fully compatible, input shaft/bellhousing differences.

I'm in the process of rebuilding my 71c. Ordered a ebay kit a year ago and now regret. Some of the synchros don't match and also didn't give me all the synchros needed for a proper rebuild. Everything else seems to work. Just ordered a synchro kit from Drivetrain.com. I'll get back to you if I would recommend. So far 300 bucks worth in kit cost. Plus having a friend of mine doing the rebuild for 2-300. But, Even with all that, I would still rather have my own rebuilt tranny then something I'd pick up from a salvage yard. Fresh and clean any day. I'll have no worries about popping a tranny because of the previous owner's failure to properly maintain his car.

Also one very important thing that I found out about the 71c: Nissan loves to change their stuff half way through a year. Their are 83-87 and 87-89 rebuild kits. Very slight differences but it was enough to make me buy another kit.
    Originally posted by michaelp
    I tell them that everyday, "thats a good lifter…good lifter. You want a treat? Oil change next week." But on the other hand, the headgasket is a bad headgasket. Hes always leaking out in my cylinders, making a mess on the cars behind me with all that coolant. So I discipline it with 6,600rpm burnouts.