Need help. Transmission went south this pass saturday.

• Need help. Transmission went south this pass saturday.

Ok here goes. I recently purchased a 1986 N/A 300zx two weeks ago. After driving the car around locally, I deemed it roadworthy. So I'm traveling down 95 south,on my way to a date. Once it switches over to 85 south and I get close to southhill va, I smell a funny smell and hear my tranmission making noises while I'm cruising in 5th. I pull on the 15 south bound off ramp and cut the car off. Once I cut it back and let off the clutch, I notice that my transmission it making a whirling noise. I find out that I can't shift any gears from 1st to 4th, only 5th and reverse as if the transmission is locked. No matter what I do the car doesn't move. Someone told me that this is because of a worn throw out bearing and once I replace that and install a new clutch, I should be in the clear. I can say this, that when I press in on the clutch it doesn't have that engaging feel it would normally have. I remember when I first got the car that from time to time when I shifted it that I would hear a slight chattering noise. I dismissed this as a loose heat shield and thought nothing of it. If anyone could clear up this matter for me, it would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

What year, Turbo or NA?

1988 300ZX Turbo, Shiro Special #760
    1988 300ZX Turbo Automatic (wife's car)
    1991 Hard-body 2WD

http://zccw.org/zccw/?page_id=1215

Transmission full of oil? If not, then it probably ran dry and locked into gear as the shift rails are dried out. That could explain the noise also.

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

Are you saying that the transmission shift lever won't retun to center in neutral? And will only shift from 5th to rev? That doesnt sound right, the reverse lockout should keep it from going to reverse until the shifter is brought back to center.
    Usually if the trans growls in neutral with the clutch engaged it is the bearings ( input shaft and front countersahft most common ). Another common failure is the counter shaft, either broken off at the center plate or the input gear set melted or keyways stripped.