Looking for a good clutch

• Looking for a good clutch

Hi, I have a 1987 300zx turbo and I am trying to figure out which is the best clutch to buy. I had a dxd clutch that i bought from z31parts.com. Don't remember which one i got but it only had maybe 8000 miles on it. It started slipping when i got on it and would hit boost it felt like it was in neutral. my goals for the car is between 400-450hp and plan on doing some drag racing and maybe autox. Just trying to find something that will last. Right now my mods are 3" cm performance exhaust ,intercooler, walbro fuel pump, Nistune (running base tune) and running about 14 psi. I have 420cc injectors i still need to install. thanks for your help
    '87 300zx turbo, auto to manual swap (done when bought), intercooler, bov, 3" exhaust, walbro fuel pump, 420 Mercedes injectors( not installed yet), nistune, running 12-13 psi, clsd, dxd stage 3 drag clutch, electric fan, alternator upgrade

Dan4242 wrote: Hi, I have a 1987 300zx turbo and I am trying to figure out which is the best clutch to buy. I had a dxd clutch that i bought from z31parts.com. Don't remember which one i got but it only had maybe 8000 miles on it. It started slipping when i got on it and would hit boost it felt like it was in neutral. my goals for the car is between 400-450hp and plan on doing some drag racing and maybe autox. Just trying to find something that will last. Right now my mods are 3" cm performance exhaust ,intercooler, walbro fuel pump, Nistune (running base tune) and running about 14 psi. I have 420cc injectors i still need to install. thanks for your help
    Ummm dxd makes clutches that hold up to 800ft/lbs.... so either you got the wrong stage clutch or you broke it in wrong

When I had bought the car I just bought the clutch to get it driving. the old clutch was destroyed. im pretty sure I had bought the stage 1 clutch. I knew I would need to replace it with a better one later just didn't realize it would be now. the clutch still looks good other than a couple hot spots on the pressure plate and the flywheel. had the flywheel resurfaced today. Im guessing i just have to much power now for the clutch I had bought
    '87 300zx turbo, auto to manual swap (done when bought), intercooler, bov, 3" exhaust, walbro fuel pump, 420 Mercedes injectors( not installed yet), nistune, running 12-13 psi, clsd, dxd stage 3 drag clutch, electric fan, alternator upgrade

Possibly, at 15psi with the stock T3 you'd be at the upper limit for sure… did you get the 250mm clutch disk only?

I had bought the whole kit. I have had the car for almost 3 years now and now I'm looking for a clutch that will be more for racing than daily driving but don't want a clutch that is to harsh that I can not drive it around on nice days

Racing != comfortable

DXD…end thread. Best feel, streetable even with the higher applications.
    My Build Thread

Which stage would be best for my setup and plans? Stage 2 (race) or stage 3 (daily) or different one?

get the most expensive dxd you can afford, alternatively call them and ask them about rebuilding yours.

as you found out bolt on z31's can make 500 ft/lbs easily.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a mans character make him a moderator.

we aim to please
    Dave
    Z31P sponsor
    800-988-4345 ext: 114
    http://www.DXDRacingclutches.com

90 Z32 Base 5spd, 05 Z33 Touring 6spd.
    SOLD- 84 Z31 NA2T GLL 5spd

I'm thinking of getting the stage 3 endurance. How does the stage 3 endurance do with drag racing? And street driving? Or should I get the stage3 race if I plan on doing any drag racing? And how is that on the street?

I just purchased a south bend clutch set up for my vg33 build. They gave me a sweet set up. They got me a new steel flywheel, trim some weigh off and cross drilled it so that I can a run a 350z or Z31 clutch kit. I got the SS clutch kit, good for 800 lb.
    shotyme

I have been running the DXD stage 4 clutch for about 2 years now.
    Running 25psi boost on a PTE6765.
    Dyno'd at 548rwhp, no clutch slip issues at all.

I ended up getting the Dxd stage 3 drag clutch and installed it a couple days ago. I have only driven it around the block once since it was getting late. But when I was driving there was a little shutter when starting to move which I expected with the puck style clutch. When i was on my way back though there was some chatter when i would hit the gas. Is that normal? Or do i need to adjust the pedal? the pedal feels good to me little stiffer than it was and engages a little high but not to bad. Don't want to mess up a brand new expensive clutch.

Dan4242 wrote: I ended up getting the Dxd stage 3 drag clutch and installed it a couple days ago. I have only driven it around the block once since it was getting late. But when I was driving there was a little shutter when starting to move which I expected with the puck style clutch. When i was on my way back though there was some chatter when i would hit the gas. Is that normal? Or do i need to adjust the pedal? the pedal feels good to me little stiffer than it was and engages a little high but not to bad. Don't want to mess up a brand new expensive clutch.
    I would imagine it's because the clutch isn't fully broken in yet so it isn't able to grip properly.
    Prius… because Pretentious wouldn't fit across the back of the car…

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick any two

My 1986 Turbo Build