open differential to a clsd

• open differential to a clsd

I am planning on switching my open differential to a LSD and was wondering if I am just swapping the carrier inside can I just swap the ring gear over and reshim the same way the open differential was. Or do i need to completely reshim and check everything? Thanks
    '87 300zx turbo, auto to manual swap (done when bought), intercooler, bov, 3" exhaust, walbro fuel pump, 420 Mercedes injectors( not installed yet), nistune, running 12-13 psi, clsd, dxd stage 3 drag clutch, electric fan, alternator upgrade

Swap carrier, reshim just like the way the open was, and then check preload and backlash just to make sure.

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

Thanks. Do i have to drop the whole housing or can i just remove the rear cover and axles?
    '87 300zx turbo, auto to manual swap (done when bought), intercooler, bov, 3" exhaust, walbro fuel pump, 420 Mercedes injectors( not installed yet), nistune, running 12-13 psi, clsd, dxd stage 3 drag clutch, electric fan, alternator upgrade

You can do it in the car.

Just make sure you support the housing so it won't drop and sag and tear the crossmember bushings when you take the diff mount off.

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

Once you get the axles out there's only 6 bolts holding the diff in place.

Take it out anyway. Its a lot easier to work on when its on a bench than on your back under the Z.
    Life's short
    Go fast
    Have a blast
    Leave a good looking corpse

My dad has a lift in his garage so i don't have to crawl on the ground anymore. So much easier to do everything.

if you want to remove the diff without exerting any extra force on the subframe bushings that might tear them:

remove the lower control arm springs before removing the differential mount.
    remove the 4 looooong bolts holding the differential to the subframe.
    remove driveshafts.
    remove the diff mount while supporting the diff.
    slide differential back and make sure you hold it up.
    remove diff.

its my opinion that this is one of those jobs that is easier to do closer to the ground than it is in the air, because I can remove the entire rear subframe in about 45 minutes to an hour with manual tools, and just let it rest on the ground, do my diff work, maybe even put new bushings in, and put it back up. might take close to 3 hours tops, to have the car moving again.