Transmission noise, please help.

• Transmission noise, please help.

Hi All,
    I have an 88 na 2+2 5 speed and the transmissions been making weird noises lately. It's been making a sound almost like it doesnt have enough oil but the oil seems to be fine. I checked the oil a few weeks ago and it was just barely low so I added enough to top it off at the fill hole but to no avail. The noise is getting worse and my mileage has been horrible lately. I don't know if that's because of a dragging caliper or because of the transmission. Anyway it's sort of a grinding/whining noise like you would hear when two gears are paired together too tightly. Can anyone help?? Is there another oil reservoir that im missing? I really can't afford to leave this unchecked and blow a trans. Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you better check your brakes, the rears can hangup due to sticking e-brake cable's.

1988 300ZX Turbo, Shiro Special #760
    1988 300ZX Turbo Automatic (wife's car)
    1991 Hard-body 2WD

http://zccw.org/zccw/?page_id=1215

Thanks, i've checked the brakes several times and rebuilt both front calipers. I'm pretty sure its not the handbrake cable. I didn't see any sticking when I took the wheels off and spun the hubs. Anyways thats another problem, right now the transmission is more concerning to me.

maybe its not the handbrake cable, but the actual caliper itself.

check the condition of the trans fluid if its dark and dirty you could have a problem in there. t5 are cheap to rebuild all the trannies are cheap at salvage yards. without hearing or seeing myself best i can do is tell you check fluid condition it will tell you more than we can.

what kindof problems would that imply? I changed the trans fluid just 2 years ago with amsoil trans fluid so it shouldn't be dark yet unless there is a problem, correct?

Describe it, dark burgundy liquid or dark brown liquid?

I'll have to check.