clutch question/issue?

• clutch question/issue?

I ended up getting the Dxd stage 3 drag clutch and installed it a couple days ago. I have only driven it around the block once since it was getting late. But when I was driving there was a little shutter when starting to move which I expected with the puck style clutch. When i was on my way back though there was some chatter when i would hit the gas. Is that normal? Or do i need to adjust the pedal? the pedal feels good to me little stiffer than it was and engages a little high but not to bad. Don't want to mess up a brand new expensive clutch. The flywheel has been resurfaced. thanks
    '87 300zx turbo, auto to manual swap (done when bought), intercooler, bov, 3" exhaust, walbro fuel pump, 420 Mercedes injectors( not installed yet), nistune, running 12-13 psi, clsd, dxd stage 3 drag clutch, electric fan, alternator upgrade

Yes, it is for drag racing not traffic, what did you expect… this is why you should talk to someone like dave@sbc who can tell you which you should go with

I plan on racing it, it is not a daily driver. I have never had a performance/racing clutch. I was just making sure it should be like that and how much it should. Does the clutch still have the same 500+ mile break in period being a racing clutch?
    '87 300zx turbo, auto to manual swap (done when bought), intercooler, bov, 3" exhaust, walbro fuel pump, 420 Mercedes injectors( not installed yet), nistune, running 12-13 psi, clsd, dxd stage 3 drag clutch, electric fan, alternator upgrade

Its a organic clutch pad right? So it probably does. I'm gona give my DxD stage 3 daily 750 miles before I start doing WOT stuff.
    Originally posted by michaelp
    I tell them that everyday, "thats a good lifter…good lifter. You want a treat? Oil change next week." But on the other hand, the headgasket is a bad headgasket. Hes always leaking out in my cylinders, making a mess on the cars behind me with all that coolant. So I discipline it with 6,600rpm burnouts.

Dan4242 wrote: I plan on racing it, it is not a daily driver. I have never had a performance/racing clutch. I was just making sure it should be like that and how much it should. Does the clutch still have the same 500+ mile break in period being a racing clutch?
    If you got the stage 3 6 puck drag clutch it is not always going to be smooth taking off and will shudder, You should drive easy for about 300 miles in town to break it in. This means no full throttle, No hard launches ect.

May want to check adjustment if it has a high release point, If you have it too tight it can cause the clutch to slip and burn up, Adjust so engagement is about the half way point.

To lower the engagement point do I move the pedal closer to the floor or farther away? The adjustment right now is pretty close to being all the way out (farther from the floor). Thanks

Dan4242 wrote: To lower the engagement point do I move the pedal closer to the floor or farther away? The adjustment right now is pretty close to being all the way out (farther from the floor). Thanks
    The pedal itself should not move, What you are changing is where the clutch starts to grab coming off the floor. You need to thread the master cylinder rod into the clevis further, Go about 1 turn and try it then if it need to go lower turn it another turn ect.

[quote]ZSpeedPerformance wrote:
    Originally posted by Dan4242
    To lower the engagement point do I move the pedal closer to the floor or farther away? The adjustment right now is pretty close to being all the way out (farther from the floor). ThanksThe pedal itself should not move, What you are changing is where the clutch starts to grab coming off the floor. You need to thread the master cylinder rod into the clevis further, Go about 1 turn and try it then if it need to go lower turn it another turn ect.
    The only purpose for adjusting the clutch master rod is to get the pedal clevis pin to spin freely in the pedal bore without touching the pedal. If you can't rotate the clevis pin freely, you have a slight load on the hydraulic system which will have very bad consequences on the clutch and other components in the system as you are not fully releasing pressure in the master cylinder. This can get worse when things heat up too.

You don't adjust the master rod to change the engagement point for the reason above.

If the clutch engagement is really low, you have bad fluid, air in the lines, bad clutch damper, bad slave or master cylinder, flexing/bent clutch fork, or worn/broken pivot ball.

I have brand new OEM Nissan clutch master and slave cylinders, with ss braided clutch line, damper delete, and ZSpeed HD fork and pivot ball. My master rod clevis pin rotates freely with the pedal at rest and the engagement is near the top half of pedal travel.

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

NissanEgg wrote: If the clutch engagement is really low, you have bad fluid, air in the lines, bad clutch damper, bad slave or master cylinder, flexing/bent clutch fork, or worn/broken pivot ball.

I have brand new OEM Nissan clutch master and slave cylinders, with ss braided clutch line, damper delete, and ZSpeed HD fork and pivot ball. My master rod clevis pin rotates freely with the pedal at rest and the engagement is near the top half of pedal travel.
    Will the ZSpeed HD fork swap into the 71C Tranny? Where did you purcahse yours from?

I just completed the VG33E swap w/ stage III DXD clutch and have the same problem

I had when I did the NA2T swap 3 years ago of the clutch not fully disengaging. Thanks.
    Everything is Meaningless.

PulseCode wrote:

Will the ZSpeed HD fork swap into the 71C Tranny? Where did you purcahse yours from?
    Nope, only fits the 30A trans.

I bought it from ZSpeed last year.

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

If anyone in the Dayton area has a 71c trans laying around I would be more than glad to try and see if we can make it work somehow. If you bring your trans I will offer you the fork kit at no charge for your trouble....

I have 2x 71c's in storage to try or at least compare but won't be able to get to them until thursday at the earliest

G-E wrote: I have 2x 71c's in storage to try or at least compare but won't be able to get to them until thursday at the earliest
    I would need the trans here to see what can be done, Over the interrweb doesn't help, Already tried that but thanks for the offer.