CLSD 6 clutch mod

• CLSD 6 clutch mod

I'm looking into this while I have my diff apart, details are here:

http://www.kamikazeracing.org/dl/ZTech/ … ebuild.pdf

It eliminates the spacers and replaces them with two extra clutches on each side; topped off with shimming it to the exact break away torque desired.
    Sounds perfect…
    The factory set up has a disk on each side of the clutch. This way when the LSD slips, the clutches are only rubbing up against the friction plates.
    If two clutches are added per side, the outermost clutch (friction disk) will be using the spring plate as a friction plate, and the inner most clutch
    will be using the center section (pressure ring) as a friction plate.

The only reason this concerns me is that now there are surfaces in the diff that were not intended for friction acting as friction plates.

The other half of me says screw it…you want it to last forever???

Opinions?

Bought a diff one time that had a pepsi can cut up for the spacers.

yuck pepsi.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a mans character make him a moderator.

You can buy any number of new lsd's for 900-1200$ and used for less, I'd say do it if you can do it cheaply…

I've done this, as well as quite a few people over at hybridz.org. I haven't heard of it causing any issues, but you might want to go search around there, as they probably have more than 50km on their car since installing it lol.

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
    1990 jetta vr6'd

I only did 4 clutches…but I put thousands of miles on mine, its good. Locks up nice…cars way more predictable now too…but I never drove it with the 2-clutch setup because the car was open diff before and I rebuilt my CLSD before it went in. Would have just gone KaaZ or similar had I not gotten the CLSD and a 30A for $300.
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

michaelp wrote: I only did 4 clutches…but I put thousands of miles on mine, its good. Locks up nice…cars way more predictable now too…but I never drove it with the 2-clutch setup because the car was open diff before and I rebuilt my CLSD before it went in. Would have just gone KaaZ or similar had I not gotten the CLSD and a 30A for $300.
    just out of curiousity, if you only used 4 instead of 6, what did you use to fill in the space? mill down the spacer by 1.75mm?

Funny thing - 3 of my friction plates are 1.75 and one is 1.85mm....no big deal, thicker plate = one less shim.

My Nismo GT Pro has 20 discs I believe. They can be had used for pretty short change.
    DD:
    86 Black Turbo 5spd
    The Fallen:
    84 red n/a auto Slicktop, 86 Black 2+2 n/a 5spd
    Parting Currently:
    86 White Turbo 5spd, 88 n/a 5spd, 84 AE, 88 Shiro #64
    Garage Sale

[quote]Pete87T wrote:
    Originally posted by michaelp
    I only did 4 clutches…but I put thousands of miles on mine, its good. Locks up nice…cars way more predictable now too…but I never drove it with the 2-clutch setup because the car was open diff before and I rebuilt my CLSD before it went in. Would have just gone KaaZ or similar had I not gotten the CLSD and a 30A for $300.
    just out of curiousity, if you only used 4 instead of 6, what did you use to fill in the space? mill down the spacer by 1.75mm?

Funny thing - 3 of my friction plates are 1.75 and one is 1.85mm....no big deal, thicker plate = one less shim.
    I cut the tabs off a couple of the stock clutches and used them as spacers....because they were half the size of the stock spacers which means if I'm adding 2 more clutches…the spacer needs to be about half the size. Without the tabs they won't engage in anything so they're just spacers at that point. Everything checked out fine and it works great.
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -