Z32tt bellhousing and Z31 30A bellhosing

• Z32tt bellhousing and Z31 30A bellhosing

i know the tt bellhonsing is thicker where the started bolts up, but what else is different between a z31 and a z31 bellhousing? i searched, but i could find any info on what im asking

Starter location is the only difference on all z32 bellhousings.
    "Its the s12's sexy over weight step daughter, the z31"

nismopu wrote: Starter location is the only difference on all z32 bellhousings.
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

I dont have bellhousings here to compare the starter locations. would a Z31 bh bolt up to a vg30de block? If so, could a z31 bh and starter bolt up and operate proper?

They will bolt up just fine. You need to use a z32 starter and a maxima flywheel when using a z32 bell.

Holy crap I did not know this. Very interesting.....

1985 Nissan 300ZX 2+2- My first Z, back in the family
    1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo RIP 4/87 - 4/28/2011
    Under Construction: 1986 Nissan 300ZX NA2T Slicktop
    Originally posted by Tempestas
    Well, one of the t-tops wasn't latched real well… God only knows where that t-top flew off to at 150+ mph. Didn't scratch the car or anything, just a boom and it was gone. I sure as hell didn't stop to see where it went. I didn't see any stories on the news… so that's a plus.

soooo the starter location, is it way off from where the z31 starter would be? how is it different? could i use a z31 bell on a DE? the tt fly is 250mm, and so is the 88t, so i SHOULD be able to use a tt fly and a z31 starter.

TT flywheel is 8-bolt.
    Z31 flywheel is 6-bolt.

Huge difference.

The starter on a Z31 sits next to oil pan and has bolts that go thru the bellhousing and the plate to the starter

The starter on a Z32 bolts onto the side of the bellhousing and the bolts are perpindicular from the bellhousing surface.

Google the images. To make a Z32 bell housing and starter work you would have to cut a hole in the floor to make clearance.

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

NissanEgg wrote:

The starter on a Z31 sits next to oil pan and has bolts that go thru the bellhousing and the plate to the starter

The starter on a Z32 bolts onto the side of the bellhousing and the bolts are perpindicular from the bellhousing surface.

Google the images. To make a Z32 bell housing and starter work you would have to cut a hole in the floor to make clearance.
    exactly what i was looking for. there is no way around it, to swap a vh and keep it manual, you have to use z32 fly, bellhousing, and starter. thanks egg.

Wtf? No. 250mm has nothing to do with diameter of the total fly. It only has to do with the surface area of the clutch. Not too mention the often overlooked Nissan pathfinder used a 250mm fly.

i have a 88t fly on my car, when i swap the vh in, im going to use a 250mm tt fly because ill be able to use the dxd i have. i have seen 2 Z31s with the vh swap, but both used a different adapter plate. since im goin a differnt route, i need different answers and info. thank you for the help. i dont have all the parts yet, so im doin what i can to learn it all.

THEBEAST wrote: i have a 88t fly on my car, when i swap the vh in, im going to use a 250mm tt fly because ill be able to use the dxd i have. i have seen 2 Z31s with the vh swap, but both used a different adapter plate. since im goin a differnt route, i need different answers and info. thank you for the help. i dont have all the parts yet, so im doin what i can to learn it all.
    ooooooooooooooh You are doing a VH swap. lol! I totally missed that part and makes more sense now.

NissanEgg wrote: To make a Z32 bell housing and starter work you would have to cut a hole in the floor to make clearance.
    I find this very hard to believe.
    Cha iro

enjoy building it yourself.
    if it fails, fuck it.
    at least you gave it a whirl.

[quote]Augustus Maximus wrote:
    Originally posted by NissanEgg
    To make a Z32 bell housing and starter work you would have to cut a hole in the floor to make clearance.
    I find this very hard to believe.
    I do too.... :lol:
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

NissanEgg wrote: To make a Z32 bell housing and starter work you would have to cut a hole in the floor to make clearance.I find this very hard to believe.

JoCkeWe wrote:
    All it takes is some love, and a hammer, cause the maxima-starter won't fit without a slight touch of violence to the chassie.
    Works perfectly, after some violence.. :-)
    Did he cut a hole?
    Cha iro

enjoy building it yourself.
    if it fails, fuck it.
    at least you gave it a whirl.