z31 clutch replacement. Need some help please.

• z31 clutch replacement. Need some help please.

I have my car jacked up already. got to the part where I have to remove downpipe and well.. the bolts are already stripped or close to stripped. is there any way to remove the tranny w/o having to drop the down pipe, will the tranny fit to the side?

or do I HAVE to get the exhaust off. I'm pretty sure i'm gonna have to cut this stupid thing and redo my piping…

I doubt it will fit, but I haven't done a clutch on a VG Z31, so I can't say for sure.

Heat is all but required when working with exhaust stuff, especially if you live up north. You may have luck with some "turbo sockets" or the like, but be careful. A broken manifold bolt will not be fun to fix on your back.
    5.3 LSx Z31

nut extractor is an option, what I had to do on one of mine, the other 2 broke the studs. tried to drill out…didnt work, wound up welding 3 bolts to the elbow, to bolt the down pipe down.

an option I didnt take advantage of at the time - somehow (cutoff wheel?) cut up the side of the nuts to release the pressure/hold on the stud, soaking in PB or other releasing agent is a great idea. once cut off a side, try to unbolt, if it will not turn, go ahead and cut the rest of the way off.

if youre careful and lucky, you will only need to replace the nuts (tighten carefully), and chase the threads of the studs!

I also had to whack the DP a few times to free it from the elbow joint! haha.

thankfully there is reasonable room to work on the elbow to downpipe area! but sadly YES it HAS to come off for trans drop.
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic

We'll I just cut the exhaust where it bends. Now im dealing with the stupid bolts on t he drive shaft to rear diff.
    I found a shop that will repair my exhaust for me, but im thinking about just getting a new downpipe and going straight pipe. I dunnop. I'll figure that out this weekend. Till then. the four bolts on the driveshaft are giving me hell.

…FML…
    there are nuts on the other side of the bolt that will easily be removed…
    Back to the car I go.