Diff. Ring Gear Tightening Torque

As in lefty tighty, righty loosey?

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

They are left hand threaded (clockwise to loosen)?? That is news to me… the FSM for the 240sx didn't mention that at all.

The ring gear from the z31 is typical right hand threaded (counter-clockwise to loosen).
    Justin
    1986 NA 2-seater
    SCCA Solo E-Street Prepared #31
    Race Videos
    Build Thread

I had a bitch of a time getting the ring gear bolts out on my LSD (88 clutch type) when I was rebuilding it. I busted 3 sockets because my impact sockets wouldn't fit. Eventually they came out with tons of heat and lots of impacting!

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
    1990 jetta vr6'd

How much heat is safe to use on the diff? Propane torch?

The z31 ring gear came out fine… the 240sx one is crazy stuck (damn 240sx guys).
    Justin
    1986 NA 2-seater
    Race Videos
    Build Thread

Sorry i ment RIGHT hand thread as in left loosey righty tighty.Just making sure because some domestic stuff (yes i know this isnt a domestic) use left hand thread ring gear bolts.Edited prior post
    "If your car cant do a burnout from a 60mph rolling start, then your engine needs more work."

"Nitrous doesn't blow up motors; Idiots with nitrous blow up motors."

Shooting for 500whp

i couldnt even mount the diff carrier into anything stable enough to break the fastening hold, so that's why I never opened the fucking thing. they're on there pretty good. thaaaaaaaaaanks nissan.

I ended up doing a one armed bear hug over the differential as it sat on a wooden shelf, and hitting the bolts with an impact gun in the other hand lol.

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
    1990 jetta vr6'd

85NA2T, Thanks for clarifying!

Yes, holding the stupid thing is hard because the case is round. I am clamping it into a huge bench vice with a lot of force but even then it doesn't feel super stable. Holding the open diff was way easier because the rectangular shape.

DZ, I tried an impact gun on it while it was clamped in a vice and held by a friend for extra measures.... didn't budge. Crapppppp.
    Justin
    1986 NA 2-seater
    Race Videos
    Build Thread

Got it! Gentle use of a propane torch and a 5 ft. long bar for leverage!!

Some nasty smelling chemical poo in the threads.
    Justin
    1986 NA 2-seater
    Race Videos
    Build Thread

DeleriousZ;314810 wrote: I ended up doing a one armed bear hug over the differential as it sat on a wooden shelf, and hitting the bolts with an impact gun in the other hand lol.
    i wouldn't attempt that myself for fear of spinning a large ring gear too close to my body while hugging it like a carrier bearing. lol you brave breaux. id rather go fight a black bear.