What do you think? Paint transmission?`

• What do you think? Paint transmission?`

Can't decide.. got it all apart, and as clean as I can, but it still has light and dark areas (aluminum corrosion?) Plus I was thinking that by painting it, that would make it easier to clean up. The bad.. easily scratched when reinstalled… friggin turbo and down pipe are hot as hell.. and if it ends up looking like shit paint would suck to remove from the case.

What say u?
    Who needs new car's, Nissan had it right 30 years ago!!!

bead blast it and hit it with some bedliner lol.

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
    1990 jetta vr6'd

VHT makes a "Flat Aluminum" ceramic engine paint that would make it look nice.
    I'm doing my SS block and heads with it currently.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

What ever you do, DO NOT ceramic coat it. It will make it burn up!!!

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

powdercoat it

NissanEgg;315205 wrote: What ever you do, DO NOT ceramic coat it. It will make it burn up!!!
    Hmmmm, I usually prefer a little more meaty detail in a warning followed by 3 exclamation points.

The thermal insulation properties of a thin layer of aerosol paint containing ceramic particles causing a transmission to burn up is debatable.
    I would propose that while it is true that a bare surface will dissipate heat the best of any scenario, a layer of paint that could be very well
    measured in angstroms, would not offer a huge insulation barrier any more than one covered in everyday road grime.

If that was true, ceramic coating manifolds would be a total scam…

Now you can also get heat-emitting paint, hell you could even anodize the thing, black hard anodizing helps heat dissipation too

G-E;315222 wrote: If that was true, ceramic coating manifolds would be a total scam…

Now you can also get heat-emitting paint, hell you could even anodize the thing, black hard anodizing helps heat dissipation too
    In my testing that i did as part of my job, hard anodizing (optical black) extruded heatsinks that were cooled by a fan actually performed
    slightly worse when compared to their uncoated equivalents. In everyday use, the difference would be marginal but with high performance
    LED's, a few percentage points can make a big difference in performance and longevity. They were initially hard anodized for cosmetic reasons.
    In the end, it was a cost issue and bare aluminum won. I wouldn't have any issue with painting a transmission.

Painted mine with a silver/blue hue flaked high temp heat spray. Sure it's got scratches, but it has held up so far with no issues and keeps the trans clean.
    Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)

Why even bother? Seems like more trouble than it's worth.

1985 Nissan 300ZX 2+2- My first Z, back in the family
    1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo RIP 4/87 - 4/28/2011
    Under Construction: 1986 Nissan 300ZX NA2T Slicktop
    Originally posted by Tempestas
    Well, one of the t-tops wasn't latched real well… God only knows where that t-top flew off to at 150+ mph. Didn't scratch the car or anything, just a boom and it was gone. I sure as hell didn't stop to see where it went. I didn't see any stories on the news… so that's a plus.

I thought it was cool at the time. It's still cool to me when I get under the trans.
    Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)

Because mirror under your car at carshows, obviously.
    1985 NA2T(now RB) * 1988 SS x2 * 1984 AE x3 * 2006 350Z

I had some alignment techs compliment me on how clean the underside of my black Z was
    when they had it up on a rack. In the years that it was off the road because i lacked funds
    to fix the motor, i cleaned and painted stuff. Hammerite is durable stuff.

Think that I am going to paint it.. why?? Not for car show mirrors or alignment techs.. more because I try to put things back on my Z that are factory new or better.. Treat it like I was restoring a priceless Ferrari or something.. but mostly so I an drive down the road, and know that there is a shiny new trans there underneath.
    Who needs new car's, Nissan had it right 30 years ago!!!

if you have spray that doesn't turn soft when its heated, then use it. its generally a paint with ceramic in some form or another embedded in the enamel. if you are going to clear coat it or try and make it look glossy, then its' just going to get dirty and ugly when you go service it or anything around it.

a nice satin aluminum finish looks great and will make working under the car a bit more "pleasant". and if it's a durable satin finish, you can spray it down with some soapy water before working on it and it will be easier to clean and generally easy to deal with.

i sprayed my lower intake manifold with flat aluminum paint. then i went and cleared it with "compatible' clear. and it only makes it soft and muddy when the engine is warm, which is shitty.

I won't be clearing anything in the future if it's going to come in contact with heat. even if it's 1200 degree clear for 1200 degree engine enamel made by the same chemical/coatings company.